1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Irish OTT - No QTS

Discussion in 'Overseas trained teachers' started by delta_bravo, Mar 28, 2012.

1. Hi,

I am considering looking for work in England and have done a bit of research into but hoping you can help me.

I recently completing the teaching diploma in Ireland. I have not yet earned sufficient hours in Ireland (300 needed) to lose my "probationary" status or QTS.

Firstly, If I was lucky enough to find full time work in a school, would I be paid on the salary scale as an unqualified or qualified teacher? Unqualified seems to earn about 18k whereas its about 25k for qualified so its quite a difference.

Also, from my research all I would need to do to gain my QTS is satisfy the requirements of the country I did the diploma so in my case it's simply 300 hours teaching. I am aware of the NQT year that English teachers have to do. As far as I know I wouldn't need to do that but from experience have schools generally put teachers like me in the NQT programme anyway?

Finally, this is a tricky one but can anyone tell me if schools would be reluctant to hire an OTT who does not yet have their QTS? I presume that is the case but has anyone heard of this happening?

Thanks.

2. You would be paid as an unqualified teacher if you don't have QTS. In a funny way, that might actually make it easier for you to get a job as schools here just want to save money now. If as you say, you don't need to do an NQT year then it would seem to be reasonably straightforward. The main thing you have to recognise, is that you are not going to get a job without going through an agency. It is so different in Ireland where there are no agencies. Here, certainly at the moment, if you apply for jobs on TES by yourself, you will probably be up against a couple of hundred people all with English experience. You will have no chance. You need to join an agency and get some work any way you can at first in order to build up your experience of working in England. I don't know - you may be able to count supply work towards your 300 hours? That's your best way of ultimately getting a permanent job. I'm English trained but my husband had a dip and just got QTS recently and he didn't have to do NQT. Hope you get to avoid the NQT as it's a pain in the ****.
    Good luck.

3. I know this is an old post
    zhabungle how did your husband gain qts? did he have to register with the irish council?
    I completed my teacher training in ireland last year then moved to the uk. I work through supply agencies but I not sure if this counts toward the 300 hours.
    any advice would be helpful

4. Just checked for you. You must be a member of the Irish teaching council first. Then, you get the Irish council to send confirmation to the GTC (this is what husband did). The Irish teaching council basically tells the English one that you're qualified. I'm not sure if the english teaching council is still operational though so check that. If I were you I'd ring the Irish teaching council and ask them. Hopefully they will be helpful.