1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

    Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

    Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

    Dismiss Notice

Irish maths results not good enough?

Discussion in 'Thinking of teaching' started by catherinemaryob, Dec 13, 2017.

  1. catherinemaryob

    catherinemaryob New commenter

    Hi there,

    After 15 years in art education I have decided to move into the classroom and apply for my secondary art pgde in Scotland. But having justreceived my irish leaving cert I miss the mark needed for maths by an inch (got a c+ rather than the required b)!

    Does this mean I cannot apply despite having what will be a strong and international cv of experience?

    Has anyone else experienced this? Any help or advice would be so very appreciated.

    Thank you.
  2. lyrixs

    lyrixs New commenter


    I'm not sure I can be of much help, as I came through the UK system, which needs a C in GCSE Maths. I got a D in Leaving Certificate ordinary maths, but unfortunately I still had to repeat the exam over here, they state it as very basic requirements and even though I had since done a masters in Finance they still wanted the Maths. It's easy to find somewhere to do an equivalency test - are you in the republic of Ireland still? I'm sure there may be an equivalency testing centre in Northern Ireland? I did mine in London as I now live in London, but I can direct you to somewhere if you want (just PM me). Good luck! :)
    pepper5 likes this.
  3. Mazod

    Mazod Occasional commenter

    Contact the universities you are interested in directly and ask. However, I suspect you will need to sit an equivalent test to show you are at this level.
  4. Tararose212

    Tararose212 New commenter

    No need to worry they are now allowing you to sit their own in-house math exams in unis
  5. rolls

    rolls Occasional commenter

    In England most institutions do accept an Irish C+ as GCSE equivalent. Not sure if this is a Scottish thing or just the institution you applied to. Might be worth asking other local institutions about their requirements if you don’t get a place.
    agathamorse likes this.

Share This Page