1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

IQ Building Activities

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by Newstein, Mar 28, 2019.

1. Newstein

Newstein New commenter

I am thinking of helping hardworking students of low ability to improve their intelligence by giving them verbal and non verbal reasoning questions as additional homework (not compulsory).

What do people here think about this proposal?

2. Vince_Ulam

Vince_Ulam Star commenter

How will you know that you have succeeded?

3. adamcreen

adamcreen Occasional commenter

How will doing questions improve their intelligence? It might make them better at doing those sorts of questions, but they are a symptom of "intelligence" (really just how good they are at doing those questions, ie general cognitive ability) and not a driver.

4. dunnocks

dunnocks Star commenter

That absolutely will not build their intelligence.

firstly, you don't know if it can be built, they may very well already be functioning at their full potential.

And if you really want to stretch and develope in all directions, a normal conversation at lunch or at the bus stop is the best thing your can do for them

5. Vince_Ulam

I would not say absolutely. There are many factors which might enable it.

6. Newstein

Newstein New commenter

At least in this activity, if a student progresses through the levels by scoring a pass mark at each level, say from Level 1 to Level 10 for that age group, then he/she must have been successful.

7. Newstein

Newstein New commenter

Doing crosswords and puzzles is an established way of increasing intelligence, I believe.
    Grammar schools accept the results of Reasoning tests as proof of intelligence.
    If a student regularly practices answering Reasoning questions of increasing difficulty, he/she should gradually become more intelligent.

8. Vince_Ulam

Then you can only claim that your programme will improve facility with these tasks.

What prompted you to this?

9. madalinaw

madalinaw New commenter

The students have done that non verbal reasoning in year 5 in preparation for 11+, think it is useless to do it again. Better give them just prior knowledge questions to make sure all students have a solid base and they don't get to year 11 not knowing to add/ subtract negative numbers ,for example.

10. afterdark

afterdark Senior commenter

I disagree with the 'only'. He might only be 'certain' of that of that outcome but he may succeed.

However teaching higher order thinking skills is making people more intelligent some people contend.

11. Vince_Ulam

The possible effects of the intervention and what can be shown by it & so claimed for it are two different things.

Much like teaching people ballet positions makes them grow feet.

12. afterdark

afterdark Senior commenter

Can be two different things.

A poor choice that one. Actually adult ballet dancers are made to stand on their toes until their feet bleed, at least they used to be. This actually changes the feet, the muscles in the toes are forced to grow stronger through tortuous exercise.
    Similarly Zulu warriors were made to run across thorns until their feet hardened.

You seem to be trying to avoid saying that having more higher order thinking skills does not mean you are intelligent.

13. Vince_Ulam

No, they are two different things. What the OP can claim and what they can show are not the same thing.

After reading this metaphor-torture I know how those Zulus must feel.

That had not occurred to me. The point is that 'higher order thinking skills' can only be learned & practised by people who are already more than averagely intelligent.