1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Ipswich school reports '30-year-old pupil' to Home Office

Discussion in 'Education news' started by nomad, Nov 2, 2018.

1. stonerose

stonerose Occasional commenter

It was pointed out to me that in order to have DBS carried out the school would incur a cost. I cannot recall what amount was and that was 2016. I recall a lecture about not letting the school down by giving up quickly because of this.

2. harsh-but-fair

harsh-but-fair Lead commenter

The asylum seeker who posed as a 15-year-old GCSE student but was accused of being 30 is pictured for the first time today after an official probe concluded he is almost certainly an adult.

The unnamed man who came to Britain from the Middle East spent six weeks as a Year 11 pupil at Stoke High School in Ipswich, Suffolk, until pupils and parents threatened a boycott.

He is now being treated as an adult asylum seeker, meaning that he faces being thrown out of the UK if his claim is refused.

The stepfather of a girl in the same class as the pupil said he had gone to the school to complain before the man was removed and had contacted Suffolk Police to make a complaint that a grown man was 'posing as a pupil' in her class.

He said: 'They logged my call and advised me to go back to the school and demand what action they were going to take,

'I ended up speaking to this teacher who said that the Facebook picture of the boy was a case of mistaken identity.

'The teacher actually threatened that all the parents who were jumping on the bandwagon could face legal action because complaining about the pupil was a criminal offence. He was basically calling all the parents bullies.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...posed-15-year-old-schoolboy-deemed-ADULT.html

I wonder if OfStEd will have anything to say?

agathamorse likes this.
  3. nomad

nomad Star commenter

An adult asylum seeker who posed as a 15-year-old student is being investigated by the government.

The Home Office confirmed it will be looking into how the man, who could be as old as 30, was allowed to join Stoke High School in Ipswich.

An age assessment carried out by the local authority found the individual to be over 18, meaning he could now face deportation.

The Home Office said age disputed cases "remain a challenging area of work".

A spokeswoman said: "We are fully committed to safeguarding children and are looking into the circumstances of this case to understand how it was handled.

"In the absence of clear and credible documentary evidence, Home Office staff must rely on physical appearance and demeanour to make an initial assessment on whether a person claiming to be a child is under 18.

"If an individual is assessed to be under 18 but subsequent concerns about their age are raised - for example, by a school - we will act quickly to reconsider the case."

Earlier this month, a pupil at Stoke High shared an image on social media with the message: "How's there a 30-year-old man in our maths class?"

The school, which initially contacted the Home Office, previously said it had "followed government and local authority policies and guidance, as we do for any asylum admissions matter".

It added the pupil "was not attending the school at this time".

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-suffolk-46325248

4. needabreak

needabreak Star commenter

You'd hope so, although I guess there might be some 6th forms *not admitting to have seen any, that are that desperate for bums on seats that they'd admit my gran. That said they'd be gone as soon as the figures were submitted and funding released.

5. nomad

nomad Star commenter

Mrsmumbles likes this.
  6. Sir_Henry

Sir_Henry Occasional commenter

bevdex and nomad like this.
  7. Sir_Henry

Yours is an opinion at the very least.

8. harsh-but-fair

harsh-but-fair Lead commenter

I wonder if this is another case of officials reluctant to act in case they were accused of racism?

Oscillatingass and nomad like this.
  9. Sir_Henry

I suspect you may be correct

nomad likes this.
  10. Vince_Ulam

Vince_Ulam Star commenter

bevdex and Sir_Henry like this.
  11. hs9981

hs9981 Established commenter

^ Looks a little bit like Rolf Harris

12. shevington

shevington Occasional commenter

We assume some of the SMT at the school have failed their performance targets, put on capability and given a retraining course.

13. SparkMaths

SparkMaths New commenter

Excuse me, that's "He who must not be named". He of the forbidden christmas song and musical instrument.

14. Vince_Ulam

Vince_Ulam Star commenter

What to do with liars who steal resources from children?

Liverpool 'child asylum seekers' found to be adults

'Twenty-four asylum seekers who claimed they were children after being sent to Liverpool were found to be adults, the city's council has said.'
    BBC.co.uk, 8th December 2018.

Sir_Henry likes this.
  15. shevington

shevington Occasional commenter

Remember it is a lot cheaper to send Asylum seekers to the grim North rather to house them in Surrey

Sir_Henry likes this.
  16. nomad

nomad Star commenter

Send them back.

No argument.

17. Mrsmumbles

Mrsmumbles Star commenter

I thought that! He’s like one of the guys off ‘School’!!

18. hedgehogmad2000

hedgehogmad2000 New commenter

19. Oscillatingass

Oscillatingass Star commenter

They cant be sent back, it will infringe their human rights and anyway, we probably do not know their country of origin and they are not about to reveal it any time soon.