1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Ipswich school reports '30-year-old pupil' to Home Office

Discussion in 'Education news' started by nomad, Nov 2, 2018.

1. nomad

nomad Star commenter

From the BBC

Remember those 'child' asylum seekers who looked considerably older??

A secondary school pupil is being investigated after parents and classmates claimed he was as old as 30. It is thought he is an asylum seeker who joined Stoke High School, Ipswich, as a new pupil at the start of term. The school said it had contacted the Home Office in relation to the concerns but it was not prepared to comment further. Another pupil shared an image on social media with the message: "How's there a 30-year-old man in our maths class?"

The Home Office has said it does not routinely comment on individual cases. In a statement the school said: "This is a matter for the Home Office. They are looking into this after we contacted them. "We do not comment on individual cases but we have followed government and local authority policies and guidance, as we do for any asylum admissions matter."

Lewis Forte, whose step-daughter is a pupil at Stoke High School, said he had been totally dissatisfied with the school's response. He said: "I went to the school to raise concerns about it and the teacher tried to shut me down by saying all his documents were present and correct which they probably were." Mr Forte said he believed the pupil in question had been at the school since the start of the term. He added: "If he is a child then I am very sorry but I had a few children in my class who looked old for their age but this is something else."

Another parent warned others on social media, "I suggest if anyone's children are in the same classes as this guy then keep them off school until this has been investigated". The East Anglian Daily Times reported that parents suspected the "man" had lied about his age in order to gain GCSEs because his qualifications were not recognised in England.

2. ridleyrumpus

ridleyrumpus Senior commenter

The school is in a very difficult position, it can hardly refuse to teach or include this person if they have been told to put him on role and all documentation is in order. No doubt they are not happy and u derived the water the feet are paddling like mad.

Not fair for parents to blame the school.

stonerose and pepper5 like this.
  3. Jolly_Roger15

Jolly_Roger15 Lead commenter

An X-ray of some of his epiphyses of his long bones would soon reveal if he is over 20 - 25.

stonerose, pepper5 and agathamorse like this.
  4. ridleyrumpus

5. Shedman

Shedman Star commenter

On his first day at school, little Johnny makes friends with a new classmate.

[​IMG]

pepper5, primenumbers and agathamorse like this.
  6. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

I sympathise with both school and the asylum seeker.
    I doubt that any school would knowingly admit someone not entitled to the education.
    Adult education services in my area have been subject to significant cuts. The centre where I enjoyed working for a few years now no longer offers adult ed as changes to funding made it no longer viable. My area is more rural than Ipswich so there may be more provision there.
    How does an asylum seeker prove they can do stuff? One of the reasons I'm grateful for stable and civilised (even if I disagree with it) government over here. There's worse elsewhere.

patternandsurface likes this.
  7. PeterQuint

PeterQuint Lead commenter

Please note that the ‘guess’ of him being 30 is from other pupils.

8. Jolly_Roger15

Jolly_Roger15 Lead commenter

In the early Nineties, I remember Afghani students who were supposedly in their early to mid teens with beards of a luxuriance that I would loved to have been able to grow. One used to be picked up from school by his 'sister' an his two, small 'cousins'.

pepper5 likes this.
  9. hs9981

hs9981 Established commenter

Couldn’t make it up!

10. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

11. binaryhex

binaryhex Lead commenter

12. PeterQuint

PeterQuint Lead commenter

pepper5 likes this.
  13. Shedman

Shedman Star commenter

As we know, the Daily Mail always reports accurately and without bias unless it's some organisation, political party or individual they dislike.

14. Robfreeman

Robfreeman Occasional commenter

After a 30 second search on the net you can find his picture let's put I'd like this I'd be asking which student was his child. He may have had a really hard paper round.

pepper5 likes this.
  15. ridleyrumpus

"What are people thinking? Putting large numbers of British girls at risk in a place where they should feel safe, so a single person from a culture where girls are considered fair game,"

You are right this post is disgusting.

Orkrider2 and schoolsout4summer like this.
  16. FrankWolley

Here is one:

upload_2018-11-5_7-20-39.jpeg

Attached Files:

17. schoolsout4summer

schoolsout4summer Lead commenter

Frank, if that is a genuine photo then I would say that person was aged between mid 20s and early 40s. He is not a schoolboy.

18. FrankWolley

I found it with a simple internet search. It appears to be genuine, although (obviously) I cannot guarantee that it is.

19. stonerose

stonerose Occasional commenter

See, here's the thing......

I was born and educated in the UK. I qualified in the UK and I have worked only in the UK. I have taught continually full time for over 3 decades and longer on a part time/variable hours basis.

Since record checks were brought in, I have been up dated as required over time and for different workplace settings. The company involved have done quite nicely out of me because my data hardly changed. I have no blemishes on record like being put on the Child Protection Register.

However......
    When I offered my services as a volunteer to hear children read (for free) at a local school, the school had to consider the fee to fork out for me. If they had just trusted my record and I had not harmed a child they would still be in deep trouble with ofsted (I have been told) because of neglecting key Child Protection legislation by not having me checked out. The school would have some explaining to do if ofsted came calling and digging.

(So I ask myself and anyone still reading this.....o_O)
    1.If I have to go through all of these checks as a UK citizen, how is it that when a suspect 'child' is accepted from another country the checks seem very rudimentary to say the least.
    2. Are other schools having to make judgements like this, and what info. guidance and advice is there to help them?

Just asking.

Oscillatingass likes this.
  20. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

What fee? DBS do not charge for DBS checks for volunteers.