1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Ipod Docking Stations...GCSE

Discussion in 'Design and technology' started by nicola_wall, Jun 24, 2011.

1. I currently have 2 students who want to make ipod docking stations for their GCSE AQA resistant materials. The context states that you can useTEP radio kits and brought in components. I have tried a few kits and the sound quality isn't great, does anyone know of kits with good sound or do you think the students could buy a cheap ipod dock and take it apart?
    Thanks

2. re

re New commenter

I have been experimenting with the Kitronik stereo amplifier - it gives around 1watt per channel for about £3.50. The chief factor regarding sound quality seems to be how you hold the speakers and what you hold them in. Mine are experimenting with 68mm drainpipe parts which hold a speaker very well (the joining compnents have a step in them) when you cut an accurate annular ring on the laser cutter.

3. bigpedro

bigpedro New commenter

sadly with almost all audio circuits you get what you pay for. I've got a lovely circuit based on two lm380 chips which will chuck out a very high quality output similar in volume to the sort of speakers you get for computers.
    <h3>Its pricey tho as the speakers and chip cost. but if the kids will fund it they'll really appreciate the quality. the whole lot should cost about &pound;10each</h3>
    i'll gladly make the circuit boards for you for nowt we're getting rid of electronics so i might as well use the bits. PM me if you fancy it, i've got loads of gain time next week as y10 are on work ex.

Pedro

4. bigpedro

bigpedro New commenter

I have no idea why the middle paragraph is different in the above post?

5. Spencer_DT

Spencer_DT Occasional commenter

Lovely typeface though!!

6. I purchased a circuit board from mutr.co.uk which works quite well. However, it does not come as a kit i had to buy speakers and jacks at an additional cost. To save money you can buy the board unassembled but it is a lot more complex than the rapid circuit. on the point of holding i also use drainpiping and it does amplify the sound well. Finally i have found that they type of battery also affects quality. I was using a CR2032 but i swapped it for 4AA's in a clip this improved it greatly.

7. Hello, Kevin from Kitronik here. I thought I'd respond to welshpagan's comments regarding the batteries used to power an amp circuit. The batteries you use really do make a big difference. This is because you can only amplify the output signal up to the maximum of the supply voltage, before it starts to 'clip' the output sound. The 'clipping' effect means the output sound will become distorted beyond this point. Therefore, the higher the supply voltage, the louder the output will be, whilst still giving a clear sound. Our amp kits can be used with up to about a 16V input voltage. If you are using a battery, I would look at something like a 9V PP3.

It is also important to use a 'baffle' to stop the air from the front of the speaker getting to the back of the speaker. If you 'cup' a speaker in your hands you will instantly see that it sounds much better.

If you want to try a sample of our stereo amp you can request one for free at http://www.kitronik.co.uk/services/samples/

8. Rapid Electronics do a complete kit with a lead. You can get a cardboard enclosure if you want or make your own on a laser cutter. They are really good! We do loads of them!