1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

iPhones & iPads in schools

Discussion in 'Computing and ICT' started by Lita66, Jul 12, 2011.

1. Hi all,
    I'm writing a presentation on the increasing usage of iPads and iPhones in schools and the availability of apps for teachers and students - there seem to be a lot of revision guides, all of varying quality and loads of brightly coloured interactive apps for younger children.
    It looks as though there will be masses of opportunity to use the iPad as an interactive whiteboard when iOS 5 is released and I wondered, if you could have any iPhone or iPad app to help you with your teaching or day to day admin, or something for your students, what would it be?!
    If anyone has any ideas to contribute, it'd be really helpful!
    Thanks in advance,
    Lita

2. Hi all,
    I'm writing a presentation on the increasing usage of iPads and iPhones in schools and the availability of apps for teachers and students - there seem to be a lot of revision guides, all of varying quality and loads of brightly coloured interactive apps for younger children.
    It looks as though there will be masses of opportunity to use the iPad as an interactive whiteboard when iOS 5 is released and I wondered, if you could have any iPhone or iPad app to help you with your teaching or day to day admin, or something for your students, what would it be?!
    If anyone has any ideas to contribute, it'd be really helpful!
    Thanks in advance,
    Lita

3. I've written 3 apps, one for students, one for messaging and one for personal use - shows my timetable, emails etc. Very useful as I can fire up where I should be, where my team are etc in one or two clicks!

4. madcat

madcat Occasional commenter

'Very useful as I can fire up where I should be, where my team are etc'
    I've got a piece of paper in my diary that does exactly the same thing.
    Say it Loud
    I'm Lud
    and
    I'm Proud

5. I met someone at BETT who built iPhone apps for revision while he was a student, and is now working full time doing it: http://www.educationapps.co.uk/
    Are you looking at just iPad and iPhone? I just got an Android tablet and was going to write about some of the apps on that and how they could be used in the classroom. There's a really cool astronomy one which shows you the position of all the planets and constellations wherever you're pointing it, and also a map of the human body which labels all the bones, organs and nerves.

6. I do too, but I can bank on always carrying my phone, absolutely can't bank on me carrying my briefcase around school at any point! Also I can assign from e-mail to the calendar in one action so no need to be rewriting the same information multiple times...

7. Although your diary doesn't run out of battery when an app's inadvertently hogging the memory, I'll give you that.

8. It doesn't make you a 'Lud' to question the value of expensive technology and ask that it justifies its cost, makes something work better or adds something to the World.
    Too often people don't; if they did, there wouldn't be any IPods/IPads in the educational setting.
    I wouldn't play Plants v Zombies on anything else, mind.

9. Have you seen this video? My company use iPads to teach music... With excellent results... www.youtube.com/storevanmusic

10. djphillips1408

djphillips1408 New commenter

We have a rather special student who has, and as I type this he is installing it, created an iphone app that lets the teacher walk into a classroom, fire up their phone and then with a click of a few buttons they can disable flash, java and the interent in the classroom. Expect to see it on the app store soon aong with a website to download the windows componentsto install on the clients

11. I am an IT Lecturer at a college, and I am writing a lot of web based applications that work for the iPhone and iPad for the classroom at the moment - what you are describing is actually something I am bringing to market as well! If anyone wants to take a look at some of the software that I am currently working on, you can visit www.tornadodesign.co.uk or search for the user " iNetelligence" on you tube to see some videos of the software in action.
    One program I am in the middle of at the moment, that I hope to turn into a native app, is actually designed for people with Autism and Aspergers, but can also be used for many other purposes. It creates a sort of "Google Street View" with your own images, and you can make it interactive with objects to pick up, codes to type in, etc. It's like an interactive social stories, so I call it a “Social Simulation”. You can see it in action on youTube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CH0PY0L9iXI
    You can create your own simulations from photographs, so can run it like an interactive social story. For example, it may be crossing the road, where it only lets you cross where it is safe, and try and cross anywhere else and it tells you why you shouldn’t cross there. It can do sequencing – leaving the house, for example, it won’t let you leave until you have your keys and have switched off the TV and checked the back door is locked. What you are seeing here is the windows version, but I am looking at a Universal App on the Iphone / Ipad as a future product. If anyone is interested in anything, please get in contact!

12. madcat

madcat Occasional commenter

lets the teacher walk into a classroom, fire up their phone and then
    with a click of a few buttons they can disable flash, java and the
    interent in the classroom.

...so you can experience what it was like to teach IT in the early 80s.
    Could they also make an app that slows down program load times and makes that nice whistley sound for the full experince-
    Sorry, scrub that, ipads already have the load time emulator down pat - can't see how you turn it off though. and no whistley sound either

13. Where does the timetable one get its information from? Would be interested to see how it works. Could you PM me some details please? I am about to start into researching apps and using IT to underpin achievement.. would provide some great insight into how other enlightened individuals are looking at problems!

14. djphillips1408

Oh I don't know about going back to the eighties, I tend to find that when I am teaching spreadsheets and databases it's kinda handy to turn the potential distractions off. Besides have your kids not become totally minecraft obsessed yet? Also by turning off java and flash it leaves a lot of the net available without the inappropriate stuff available.
    Lad will have finished it in a couple of days, then his plan is to throw out to all open source with a donate button, that way he does not have to support it long term. Tested it in school today and works a treat. It has the basic elements of AB tutor, RM tutor etc that most people use to keep kids on task.

15. Is there really much on the web that IS appropriate?
    Can your student create an app that blocks the students BBM facilities as well?
    No BBM, now that would be a welcome echo of the eighties.

16. djphillips1408

Don't think we can add a phone jammer to it!!
    Honestly this software this kid is making is amazing, he is currently sitting next to me and amending the code so if someone pulls out the ethernet cable then it automatically blocks java and flash. It is going to be so much better than ABtutor and the likes....

17. Can I buy shares in him before his market value skyrockets?

18. Hi Lita

We've developed a number of puzzle and quiz games which were initially conceived with classroom use in mind, but have also been adopted by mainstream users.

I'd be glad to talk to you about our apps and experiences along the way if it would be useful. If you'd like a developer's opinion on whether something in particular would be possible, or perhaps why it's not been done already, I'd be happy to help.

We do have a couple of educational app ideas that are still in the prototype stage, and if anyone reading this thread is interested in helping to test and give feedback, please do drop me a message :)

Chris

19. I use ITeleport and VNC as remote desktop apps. Connected to the school network, you can connect to your teaching pc and control it as you would with your mouse. It also displays the computer screen on your iPhone as a nice touch (you don't have to be able to see the actual computer screen or whiteboard to control the computer.) In addition, the app also offers a full keyboard with quick shortcuts to various buttons and functions. Note: the app does require a VNC client to be installed on the computer you are connecting to but this is free.

20. becktonboy

becktonboy New commenter

absolutely can't wait to see it...