1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

iPhone 4, iPhone3GS or HTC Desire HD?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by LittleMissCurious, Jan 27, 2011.

1. At the end of my phone contract, and want to change from a normal phone to some kind of smart phone. The above three are on my shortlist - any advice?
    I'm also thinking of moving to 3mobile as my provider - are they as bad as I've heard?

2. At the end of my phone contract, and want to change from a normal phone to some kind of smart phone. The above three are on my shortlist - any advice?
    I'm also thinking of moving to 3mobile as my provider - are they as bad as I've heard?

3. littlemissraw

littlemissraw Occasional commenter

Tesco have best deal for iphone4 (12 month contract too!).
    I had this (dilemma?) a few weeks ago and plumped for the iphone4. The 3GS didn't come into my running though, was solely between HTC Desire HD and Iphone4.
    I read a million reviews, all of them were neck and neck between the two, and at the end of the day I went with the iphone purely for screen (looks so much sharper than HTC) and I like the fact that apps are controlled as opposed to open source like Android.Thirdly the iphone seems to hold its value well for if you ever needed to sell on.
    Personally nothing compares to just having a play with them both so I went to Trafford and Carphone warehouse got a HTC Desire HD out for me and looked at the iphone in apple store.
    HTC does have alot of complaints about battery life but so far my iphone has been fab and easily lasts all day. x

4. I went for the 3GS as I didn't see the point in paying more for the 4. My friend has got through 5 of them now because of a recurring fault so it has convinced me even more that I made the right choice!

5. I HATE 3 as a network and have just moved to Orange- when my friends had great connection, I had nothing. I would avoid!
    My husband had the HTC HD as an upgrade- (he is a very heavy phone user) and couldn't get to grips with it- too complicated (he is about as technical as an elderly ant) so we sold it on ebay.

6. I have been with 3 now and love it. I always have signal when my husband doesn't. I have just got HTC desire 9not HD) and I love it. Loads of apps are free, that you have to pay for on iphone.

7. Shifter

Shifter New commenter

See what Virgin has on offer, they seem to be offering more for less cash than other providers.

8. I got my 3GS before the iphone 4 came out and whilst I love it (and not in a position to change it atm) the upgrades Apple are bringing out now exclude 3GS on some of the features. So if you are keen on the iphone I would recommend going with the most up to date version.

9. jacob

jacob Lead commenter

Blimey, we still use carrier pigeons.

10. Thanks all for your opinions.... I'm still undecided.... I'm with Virgin at the moment, but haven't been that happy with their billing/support systems, plus they don't offer the iPhone. I can't afford a huge initial payment for the handset either, which limits my choice even further!

11. chicabonita

chicabonita New commenter

Yes, and they are the Hotel California of providers: you can check out any time you like, but you can never leave!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?gl=GB&v=FL7yD-0pqZg

12. I have the HTC Magic using Android which had an auto update recently. I have had it 2 years and love it so much that I haven't changed my phone, I just reduced my monthly billing to half what it was by changing the plan. Why pay for a phone when so many good ones are free? I would go for the HTC Desire but the non HD version and it should be free.

13. littlemissraw

littlemissraw Occasional commenter

If you are signing up to a new contract try Topcashback (that is my referral link, you don't have to use it but I'd appreciate it if you did)
    Vodafone is offering £120 cashback on new iphone contracts and lots of other networks also offer similar amounts through there. I've made £145 so far (I bought my phone SIM free though)
    Tesco still has best contract offer for iphone from what I found, not sure about HTC though. xx

14. I can also recommend tesco for contract. They still do 12 month contracts at a reasonable price unlike all my friends who are stuck in 24 month contracts with their phones!

15. As I said earlier, I haven't got the cash available to pay a £££s upfront for Tesco, so that rules them out totally...

16. I have an HTC and it is great. The only complaint I have is battery life, though iPhones don't appear much better. Most of my mates have iPhones and with heavy usage, they don't last the day, either. The one bonus with apple products is that almost everyone has a charger, well someone will, where as that isn't always the case with HTC.

If you want a huge memory load, don't go with HTC. I have no music and only 3 short videos, 20 photos and hotmail and gmail and memory is almost full. Only 2 games also, so that's not killing it. It has an SD card, but I haven't worked out how to save anything to it.

17. tafkam

tafkam Occasional commenter

You can get an App called "Advanced SD Card Manager" which will help you to transfer some Apps to the SD card which can save a huge amount of phone memory space. Especially if you have a lot of Apps!

18. And, if you have been with Virgin for a while, then you can cut a great deal with them. Like most companies, give a call, tell them what you can get elsewhere and the very least they will do is match it