1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

IPGCE

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by fairylights14, Sep 10, 2019.

1. fairylights14

fairylights14 New commenter

Looking for reviews from people who have completed an iPGCE with any university please! In particular Sheffield or UEL

2. Mr_Frosty

Mr_Frosty Established commenter

There was quite a long thread about IPGCE recently, I never read it so I have no idea if Sheffield or UEL were covered but try searching and you should find it.

fairylights14 likes this.
  3. makhnovite

makhnovite Established commenter

Maybe the simple title 'IPGCE' was not a good idea, as it has been done to death quite recently. If you wanted info on two new universities offering a new IPGCE, it might have been better to have included that fact in your title to avoid going over old ground.

fairylights14 likes this.
  4. fairylights14

fairylights14 New commenter

Thanks for your replies!

5. Sunnyday50

Sunnyday50 New commenter

I don't know about the course at either of those universities, but a couple of things to be aware of about the course in general:
    1. If you do an international PGCE, make sure it involves proper teaching placements. Some don't, and you can imagine how well-thought-of they are(n't) as far as future employers are concerned.
    2. You'll have to organise your own school placements, and international schools are understandably reluctant to take student teachers when parents are paying a significant amount of money for their children to be taught by qualified and experienced staff, so don't assume it'll be easy to find a placement school.
    3. The IPGCEs that I know of don't give you QTS, so you are technically not qualified to teach in the UK, although it's far from unheard of for UK schools to hire unqualified teachers (at corresponding salaries). This will only be a concern if you envisage teaching in the UK at some point, which personally I wouldn't recommend :)

6. sidekick125

sidekick125 New commenter

Not worth the paper it is printed on as it doesn't give you QTS. All schools in the middle east require QTS and the practice is becoming more common-place in Asia.

7. Mr_Frosty

Mr_Frosty Established commenter

I think that is far from true, but I definitely wouldn't want to work in one that doesn't require it.