1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

iPGCE or PGCE (i)

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by roamingteacher, May 16, 2011.

1. roamingteacher

roamingteacher Occasional commenter

Could any headteachers out there comment on the acceptability of either of these qualifications from the universities of Sunderland and Nottingham? The Sunderland course includes observed lessons and teaching practise, whereas the Notts one is based on written assignments. Sunderland is assessed against standards for QTS, whereas Notts counts as one third of an MA in Education from its (presumably well-respected) institution.
    I know this could spark a debate about the worth of QTS against other quals, but all I am really looking for is how employers would view the qualification when accepting applications for a teaching post.
    My colleague has no intention of returning to the UK so that is not an issue. Neither is he looking for a shortcut, so would like to do the most rigorous course available.
    Many thanks.

Sunderland details:
    http://www.sunderland.ac.uk/study/course/677/pgce__professional_graduate_certificate_in_education_overseas
    Nottingham details:
    http://www.nottingham.ac.uk/education/prospective/teachertraining/pgceinternational.aspx

2. My friend would be interested to know too. He's not willing to relocate his family to the UK so needs to look at other ways to up his qualifications. He was looking at the Nottingham one as they have a campus in KL that would be easy to reach.
    The Sunderland one sounds promising as your teaching is assessed against the standards. However who is observing you if you are half way around the world teaching?

3. roamingteacher

They have local tutors here in SE Asia. I guess their flights and costs are covered by course fees. AirAsia sure is cheap!

4. lovely.lady

lovely.lady Occasional commenter

I know at least 3 teachers who have gone through the Sunderland PGCE and have passed. They had to have mentors at school (in China) and attend seminars etc. It was hard work but worthwhile!
    One has since gone to work for a group of schools in South East Asia.

5. roamingteacher

Thanks for that.
    I doubt headteachers have nothing to say about this - you're normally such a gregarious lot! Please share your thoughts. [​IMG]