1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

iPGCE enough?

Discussion in 'English' started by beanzy88, May 18, 2011.

1. Hi all,

Quick question!

My husband, about to complete his English degree through the University of London International Program, is thinking of doing the iPGCE course through Nottingham University as we live in Thailand. He wishes to teach English to secondary school students at an international school over here. My query is this: would an iPGCE be enough to teach English at an international school in Thailand? Apparently this qualification doesn't 'register you for QTS'.

Any help or advise on who to ask would be great.

Thanks,

Beanzy88

2. DaisysLot

DaisysLot Senior commenter

Is there no one who can advise you in a Thai school?

3. thequillguy

thequillguy New commenter

Needless to say, you'd struggle with accreditation at (m)any schools in UK, should ever decide to move back too. I would see what the school you want to work in says, as it would be more of a passport for them (by the sounds of it) then any specific qualification worth taken to work in secondary schools elsewhere.

4. roamingteacher

roamingteacher Occasional commenter Forum guide

I started a thread on this on the Teaching Overseas forum. From what research I've done, it would be acceptable in most schools in Thailand although worth asking the school directly if you have one in particular in mind.
    Coming back to the UK would be overcome by asking for an assessment-only route to QTS - that's if you'd ever want to return of course...