1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

ipc transport

Discussion in 'Primary' started by coco and crusty, Feb 23, 2011.

1. coco and crusty

coco and crusty New commenter

I am starting a new IPC unit after the holidays and I am lost for inspiration. We are doing the transport topic and the entry point in the folder says to vist a selection of transport or have them visit your school. Well that would be lovely but we have just been on a trip so can't ask parents for any more money. We had arranged for a drag car to visit (tenuous I know!) but they can't come now until the end of April. We have asked the children to bring in transport toys that they have at home to have a bit of a race and disucss the merits of one type of vehicle over the others but it is a bit dull and not very inspiring. I feel as if we will not really get anythgin out of it.
    I really want to get them enthused by the topic but to be honest I don't feel very enthused.
    Any suggestions???

2. coco and crusty

I am starting a new IPC unit after the holidays and I am lost for inspiration. We are doing the transport topic and the entry point in the folder says to vist a selection of transport or have them visit your school. Well that would be lovely but we have just been on a trip so can't ask parents for any more money. We had arranged for a drag car to visit (tenuous I know!) but they can't come now until the end of April. We have asked the children to bring in transport toys that they have at home to have a bit of a race and disucss the merits of one type of vehicle over the others but it is a bit dull and not very inspiring. I feel as if we will not really get anythgin out of it.
    I really want to get them enthused by the topic but to be honest I don't feel very enthused.
    Any suggestions???

3. marlin

marlin Star commenter Forum guide

Have you seen the resources on these museum sites?
    London museum of transport:
    http://www.ltmuseum.co.uk/learning/families-and-children/stuff-for-kids/23-make-a-mini-museum
    There are templates of a taxi, coach and bus which can be decorated and put together.
    (Possibly make a town baseboard with roads, buildings etc and make vehicles to place on it.)
    Posters to go on the escalator walls on the underground.

Manchester museum of transport:
    http://www.gmts.co.uk/learning/index.html
    Some resources here which might inspire you. Road safety - watch the cartoons and then make posters. Maths - bus fares. Children play the game then perhaps role play.
    Might be more ideas if you follow this link:
    http://www.gmts.co.uk/learning/index.html

Visit from one of the emergency services? This ought to be free and possibly available at short notice. Activities related to the vehicle - measuring, observation drawings etc.

4. coco and crusty

Thanks for the ideas :)

would love to get the emergency services in but FS had them last term and do lots of work on them. Need to add some progression.

I'll look at the weblinks and try to get more inspired.

Thank you

5. Not sure what the IPC Transport covers, but do you need to look at specific modes of transport? Also can't remember if you said KS but what about making things for D&T?
    A hot air balloon or your own car. Thick card (to a shape of their choice), cotton reels for the wheels, thin dowelling to connect them and wind the back wheels up with an elastic band. Watch them go... you can then discuss the science element re: friction based on the different car shapes - why one went further than the other etc.
    Just an idea [​IMG] although maybe not what you're after.

6. coco and crusty

thanks for that. I have planned to create transport in DT :)