1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

IPC Inventions and Machines Entry Point

Discussion in 'Primary' started by blahblahblah2, Feb 22, 2011.

1. Hi,

Am about to teach this unit and need a better ideas for the 'hook' than is provided in the folder. They suggest 24 hours of living with only items that were around in 1900 but I can't imagine parents not letting them watch TV etc when they got home.

Need an exciting afternoon that will get them interested in the theme on the first day back. Any suggestions would be much appreciated!

2. Hi,

Am about to teach this unit and need a better ideas for the 'hook' than is provided in the folder. They suggest 24 hours of living with only items that were around in 1900 but I can't imagine parents not letting them watch TV etc when they got home.

Need an exciting afternoon that will get them interested in the theme on the first day back. Any suggestions would be much appreciated!

3. coco and crusty

coco and crusty New commenter

I've got the same problem with my IPC unit. The entry points aren't very inspiring. Not sure if this would be what you were after but have you looked at the Japanese inventions? In Japan every invention seems to made into a product. Some very bizarre! such as a hat that supports your head on the tube if you fall asleep, and butter which comes in a tube like pritt stick! Maybe they could look at some of those and create their own?? or create adverts to try to sell the products to the rest of the class, maybe working in groups? and video the adverts to use as a comercial break to lessons? Did this on a course a whle back and as adult we were very excited and got our imaginations flowing well. Lots of discussions about why the thing was invented in the first place.

Hope it helps good luck!!

4. marlin

marlin Star commenter Forum guide