1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

IPC Black gold!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Primary' started by mprimaryz, Feb 18, 2011.

1. mprimaryz

mprimaryz New commenter

Has anyone got any good ideas for an entry point into this topic (black gold) which is all about the oil industry. I need it to be spectacular and memorable as this is the opener to the topic and meant to hook the children in to find out more about global warming etc...?

2. mprimaryz

mprimaryz New commenter

Has anyone got any good ideas for an entry point into this topic (black gold) which is all about the oil industry. I need it to be spectacular and memorable as this is the opener to the topic and meant to hook the children in to find out more about global warming etc...?

3. Hi
    I am also starting this topic after the break. I thought i would ask a vet to come in to talk about treating birds caught up in oil slicks (maybe i'll sort out a PPT showing pics as well). I really wanted to invite someone from the rspb, but can't find a contact in my area! I'm then going to use the IPC entry point idea of having the children try to clear up an oil slick using, amoungst other things, feathers. Hope this helps.
    [​IMG]

4. I used the IPC entry point activity, which was to clean up an oil slick using different types of materials. Each group had a tray with a sand 'beach', water and I put in the oil. We made predictions about which materials we thought would be best and then 'went for it!' Be warned; it is VERY messy but hugely enjoyable and the children learnt loads and talked about it for ages. We then researched the effect of oil spills on beaches and animals and they made a powerpoint about their findings, a newspaper report about a fictional oil spill and a persuasive advert about volunteering to help clean up birds affected by oil spills. I thought it was going to be a boring unit, but actually really enjoyed it. If you can get Shell Education services to come in a run a day for you, it is well worth the £100. They run an activity all about the oil industry, which is hands on, team working and lots of fun!

5. mprimaryz

mprimaryz New commenter

Pretty much what I had in mind but thanks, good to know you've used them and the children enjoyed the activity. I'll have a look for Shell Education Services too. Cheers!

6. Don't bother with Shell, BP will do an oil slick for free.

7. mprimaryz

mprimaryz New commenter

Funny funny guy!