1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

IPC and British history

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Isotope824, May 15, 2011.

1. ... anybody??

2. flickaz

flickaz New commenter

Be careful which units you choose and adapt accordingly. I've chosen topics that link to previous QCA units (eg go with the flow to link with mountains and rivers) I did "the big picture" last year with year 5 and squeezed in quite a bit of the Tudors and the Victorians. This year in year 6 we've done the Egyptians and the Romans in "moving people" and now we're doing "settlements" I'm getting in the Anglo Saxons, the Vikings and whatever else I can squeeze in before July!

3. I'm a little bit wary about IPC at this point in time. My school has taken it on this term; we will implement it in September. Don't you think it's a lot of money to spend when the curriculum is being reviewed iIn the near future?

4. donkeyshed

donkeyshed New commenter

I agree that it is a lot of money to spend. Its not just to do with the timing of the purchase, either. My school took the IPC on board two years ago. All I can say is that I hope you've got plenty of time on your hands. Because many of the topics are unrelated to NC themes, you will be spending many hours searching for resources and scratching your head while you decide how to teach it. The rep who 'sold' it to us told us of this terrific 'community' online, where resources were uploaded for other participating schools to share. In reality, when you go on the website, there is hardly anything there. Most topics have NO resources attached at all, leaving you with the task of finding your own (and if its a theme that has not been in the NC, that's no easy task).

Having said that, some of the units have been a breath of fresh air and the children have got lots out of them. The entry and exit points are excellent. It just needs to be properly resourced now and then it will be definitely worth having.