1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

iPads in Y3 Class

Discussion in 'Primary' started by ProfHarry, Apr 2, 2012.

1. In my school we have been asked by the PTA if we want some iPads to use with the children in Y3 and 4. The Reception classes have 4 which the children use. But I'm not sure how I can use them in my class. I know that if I ask you can help me out with suggestions and ideas. How widely used are iPads in Primary Schools? Do teachers use them in their planning and/or teaching? Any answers to these and many other questions are greatly appreciated.

2. In my school we have been asked by the PTA if we want some iPads to use with the children in Y3 and 4. The Reception classes have 4 which the children use. But I'm not sure how I can use them in my class. I know that if I ask you can help me out with suggestions and ideas. How widely used are iPads in Primary Schools? Do teachers use them in their planning and/or teaching? Any answers to these and many other questions are greatly appreciated.

3. modgepodge

modgepodge Established commenter

I use mine to...surf the net, and play silly games. And watch movies and read. I have yet to find a use for it educationally, have a brief look at apps but have to confess I've not looked in to it too mich. mainly cos I only have the one and it's mine - I can think of loads of uses if I had one for every member of my class but at a cost of at least £10 grand that isn't going to happen!!

4. I've seen schools using them as a guided reading activity, so each group gets a turn once a week or so.

:)

5. Thanks for your replies. I too would like the whole class to have an iPad each! I like the idea of a Guided Reading group activity. But how can you put the apps on each iPad? What books have you got loaded on the iPad for these activities?

6. How many ipads do you have, sophimc, in Year 6? Do you have any rules that the children have to follow? How do you go about putting apps on the ipads? Can the children do it? Also, how do you store the ipads and protect them? My school have talked about putting them in a rubber protection frame and some plastic on the ipad screen. Would it be possible to see how you plan them in your lessons?

7. greenb

greenb New commenter

hi, this may be useful if you've not seen it before!
    http://newteachers.tes.co.uk/news/path-appiness/46190

8. Gareth-Brown

Gareth-Brown New commenter

We're starting to get iPads into schools and there is talk of all the teachers getting one. I have not had any experience with using iPads in education but I think there is a lot of potential with them. I can see them blending the hands-on aspects of learning with the ICT side.

9. becktonboy

becktonboy New commenter

I'd love to see some of that planning (especially for the music but also literacy), and a list of the apps in use and a description of how the ipads and the accounts are managed and how e-safety is addressed and how the lack of Java and Flash affects Inet use..

10. I enjoy iPad at home and am interested in how to make best use of them in the classroom.would welcome ideas,lesson plans etc.what can I do on iPad with children that can,t be done on pc/mac?

11. upsadaisy

upsadaisy New commenter

12. upsadaisy

upsadaisy New commenter

No help then?

13. inq

inq

We went on a cpd afternoon where they were being demonstrated for educational use - making e-books seemed like a good idea. You could make a book, add photos and notes and publish them to selected people.
    At BETT we talked to people about iPads for school and how apps can be distributed and they said that there is a way to download the apps to all the ipads at once (similar to sending a packet round to update all of the PCs in school). The children won't be able to download apps if they don't know the password.
    I use mine tutoring and there are some great apps avaialable at minimal/ zero cost.

14. becktonboy

becktonboy New commenter

I got the same message at the Apple stand: it involved buying a docking bay £600 for 10 pads), synchronised via a connected laptop - which had to be a Macbook - that old hippy Jobs and his freewheelin', wind in the hair ways .......

15. upsadaisy

upsadaisy New commenter

Is that the only way? I know you can sync your iPhone and iPad, just figured you might be able to do something similar?

16. becktonboy

becktonboy New commenter

it's either that way or individually and that is a bit of a 'mare... - as far as I have been able to find out ....

17. Loony tunes

Loony tunes New commenter

I manage 30 at our Special school. They're by far the best thing we've ever bought. I manage them all individually and it can be time consuming but once you've done the initial set up its not too horrific...

18. becktonboy

becktonboy New commenter

intrigued to hear that, loony.
    do you manage them all from 1 account or do you have multiples? if 1, how do you get round the 10 device limit?
    have you been able to create a 'master' pad which you then synch the opthers with or do you set each up individually?
    have you been able to synch a folder? I have 20 pads and about 80/90 apps, best organised into folders but have signally failed to duplicate the folder structure to others.....