1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

iPads in the primary classroom

Discussion in 'Primary' started by dav1970, Jan 11, 2012.

1. Well that's a shame, we've had some great and really realistic support fromm Apple Educators. The website we are in the process of working on is learningwithipads.co.uk and we've put some user guides on there.

The easiest thing, I think, for a teacher that has them but isn't so confident and doesn't want to worry about evidence and printing is some challenge based learning. Give the children the chance to create videos or stories using just the camera, or some free apps like puppetpals and screenchomp. Works brilliantly with science experiments and maths, and could be shared either by using something like dropbox, email, or even a private school youtube/browser based site.

2. Because I was a teacher and indeed a headteacher for several decades. For the past two decades I have been involved in research into the acquision of basic educational skills. I routinely visit schools all over the UK. I currently have two major, year-long literacy projects underway. One involves Year 2 non or near-non readers in 20 schools; the other involves Year 6 pupils in someone hundred schools. Even that wealth of experience does not however, confer 'infinite wisom' but when a teacher states that 'people in other countries may be more stupid that we are' or that they 'have more money' goes some way to explain why so many children fail to acquire the msot basic educational skills, year in and year out!

3. School Boy Error

School Boy Error Occasional commenter

How would you explain them embracing inefficient technology then, wasting money you have said they do not have? It's certainly not clever is it....although, you think it's the way forward. One of us will be right but only time will tell.

4. School Boy Error

School Boy Error Occasional commenter

A tip though, if you are trying to sell people things to improve reading I would make sure you don't have a line break in the middle of a sentence (twice), nor have one sentence split over two bullet points. It doesn't fill the customer with confidence. http://www.carronpracticals.co.uk/

5. http://www.wallaceict.net/

This website may well be of use. One to one deployment in primary and post primary with great success.

6. Thanks for the tip! How about this representative sample of last years pilot programme. This years Y6 project has 100 schools involved and the Y2 project involves 20 schools.

Actual results in July 2011 6% 47% 47% 94%

Actual results July 2011 2% 62% 36% 98% .

Results predicted Sept 2010 25% 50% 25% 75%

These results are for the one our of two classes that participated. The other class’s results were as predicted.

I will post the results from the full scale project in July.
    Do you think your tip about line breaks would have improved on these results?

7. Join NAACE and contact RayTolley who posted '70applications for an iPad in e classroom' on a forum there.

8. Loony tunes

Loony tunes New commenter

I've had my iPads since September and wouldn't be without them now. Puppet Pals HD is fantastic for animations - very easy to use and the results are fantastic. My SEN class have produced some fantastic work and it has meant that those who really struggle with writing can present their ideas without being limited by their writing difficulties. Can be used for anything from telling a story to explaining the results of a science experiment to MFL work.

9. Have a look at new app Maths, age 3 - 5 for the foundation years. First topic is free!

10. Hi I have been using my iPad in a Primary 1 (reception) class for a few months now and my class have just this week gone 1 to 1 with individual iPads. We use an app called book creator (about a fiver to buy) but its well worth it! My kids are creating their own books, importing their drawings and photos from other apps, adding text and recording their own narrations. The iPads are a fabulous tool and I agree that there is quite a lot of effort for the teacher but we need to equip our children for the future and whether we like it or not this it seems like this technology will be prominent I the future

11. Tablet computers are in the very earliest stages of their development. They will not only become more intelligently interactive but they will become cheaper. The biggest improvement however will be in the range and quality of applications designed specially for use on tablet computers and schools will be among the greatest beneficiaries. My personal hope is for an explosion of applications which will improve basic educational skills in general and literacy in particular. The great thing is that teachers themselves will be the final arbiters of what is useful and what is not. Apps which are not used with sufficient regularity will fade away and be replaced by new and more advanced ones. It is interesting to speculate on just what kind of apps we will see in schools in five years time. For those of us who are involved in app development, the future is very exciting.
    Its along time since I purchased a newspaper - i read the Times on myiPAd every day. The Times costs about £450 a year. It is not delivered in the village where I live so that I have a three mile round trip to buy it which more than double the cost to about £1000 My monthly Times subscription is about £10.50 and it is delivered wirelessly. Can't be had!

12. Thank you for sharing so many ideas. I am looking for ways to use my iPad with my class of 7yr olds. Unfortunately I am not trialling one or more for the school! We have Promethean software on our IWB's. Is there an app that will allow me to prepare flipcharts at home on my iPad , rather than having do detach the laptop from the VGA and other cables?

13. I work with early years children who have learning difficulties, so the apps I use may not be relevant to you guys teaching in upper primary, but have a look at special iApps who are a new organisation that are developing apps around personalised stories. May be relevant for teaching new vocabulary in topics. Also, try Injini, which yes, is gamey, but has some really smart skills-based activities probably most suited to foundation stage/KS1. I am interested to hear from anyone else who works in early years; I have been lucky enough to win nine iPads through a competition with Proctor and Gamble and Chat magazine, and I am using them with an early development group I run for children with Down Syndrome. They are proving a massive hit with the children, highly motivating.

14. Hello everyone,

I have just started a year 6 music project with garageband, which is an incredibly powerful app for ipad. After the first session the pupils have already added their own beat, harmonies and are about to start writing their lyrics for the songs. the app has an excellent sound recorder for recording speaking and it is very easy to add sound effects and sequence voice and sounds together. The school I am working at is investing heavily in ipads so I am going to be sharing the successes and trials through this thread as things develop.

Garageband is £2.99 per ipad which is such good value for money for the power it delivers. The next stage I am expecting to work on with this app is using it to bring children's stories to life by recording them and getting them to bring them to life by adding sound effects and backing tracks.

Richard

15. I have an IPad for use in my 3rd grade classroom. I use it to record the children's reading fluency and then listen to it with them and helping them see what they can do better. This has been amazing because the children are more conscious of mistakes and are doing much, much better.
    (I use Quick Voice which is alread on your IPad)

16. I have been asked to research something similar - the idea of getting some Android tablets for guided reading etc. We thought about getting some Kindles, but apparently they are no good because they don't have page numbers (no good for working in a group), you can't change the background colour (for dyslexia) and you are trapped into buying Kindle books only. You can get Android tablets for a fraction of the price of an ipad and they could potentially be used for all kinds of other things too (many of which are mentioned in the apple posts here).
    Any ideas / experience?

17. That's a very good point about Kindles - #i know a couple of schools that have been tempted to go down the Kindle route and have regretted it already. The app for the graded library I mentioned earlier which is intended primarily for use in schools will be also be available for the android O.S.

18. I have introduced iPads into the school where I work which is for children with special needs, but with particular emphasis for using them with children who have profound and multiple learning difficulties. There are lots of excellent apps to use with these children at minimal cost. You can find lots of examples on YouTube of children using iPads. I would be interested to know how you go about buying apps at your school and also if you can put them onto other iPads as we are having difficulties with this.

19. Hello everyone - I'm not a schoolteacher but I have taught adults ICT. I'm currently working in the Middle East on a digital inclusion project and we have been trialling ipads with a disadvantaged group, but using them as a motivational tool and the method of delivery. We have made some very interesting discoveries about the huge logistical learning curve we needed to travel to deploy them and we hope to publish our findings soon.

However I wanted to let you have this link I came across which I hope you will find useful and to say hang in there, because it is worth it in the end. http://missnoor.visibli.com/share/YwgjBr
    Patricia

20. rainbowdrop86

rainbowdrop86 New commenter

This thread has gone a little off track. I have 1 iPad and am looking off ways to use it in my ks1 classroom. I already have percy Parker, interactive clocks, the pie Corbett app, pizza fractions. I need things I can use as a teaching aid rather than individual games etc