1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

iPads in the classroom improved T4L

Discussion in 'Computing and ICT' started by Slighty, Mar 11, 2012.

1. Hey all my head went to BETT and came back with the vision of using iPads in the classroom. So now we all have these iPad to show off but, old IT consultant hat on, I question how much it is adding value to lessons added to this our school doesn't have an agreed policy for BUYING apps so we are relying n free ones... Thus a lot of people are reading the Metro or checking the news or football scores but again not sure on the education concept.

I am equally interested in the pitfalls so may I ask:

A. Is anyone out there using iPads to deliver lessons to pupils which a marked improvement in interest/ learning
    B. Can anyone recommend free aps cross curricular food tech is an area whe we are struggling
    C. Shamefully as I teach mostly Adobe suite currently Flash I am failing to see how I can use mine !! So anyone found useful ICT teaching apps

I use my IWB as n when and get the pupils engaged however my feeling is I want them interacting with their own hardware ie working not always playing with toys for the sake of it...

Hope that doesn't sound too Scrooge or narrow minded . .. I welcome the change but not for the sake of it, I welcome thoughts/opinions

Cheers

2. Hey all my head went to BETT and came back with the vision of using iPads in the classroom. So now we all have these iPad to show off but, old IT consultant hat on, I question how much it is adding value to lessons added to this our school doesn't have an agreed policy for BUYING apps so we are relying n free ones... Thus a lot of people are reading the Metro or checking the news or football scores but again not sure on the education concept.

I am equally interested in the pitfalls so may I ask:

A. Is anyone out there using iPads to deliver lessons to pupils which a marked improvement in interest/ learning
    B. Can anyone recommend free aps cross curricular food tech is an area whe we are struggling
    C. Shamefully as I teach mostly Adobe suite currently Flash I am failing to see how I can use mine !! So anyone found useful ICT teaching apps

I use my IWB as n when and get the pupils engaged however my feeling is I want them interacting with their own hardware ie working not always playing with toys for the sake of it...

Hope that doesn't sound too Scrooge or narrow minded . .. I welcome the change but not for the sake of it, I welcome thoughts/opinions

Cheers

3. tonyuk

tonyuk Occasional commenter

Well research says that you can add all the bells and whistles but makes very little difference unless the teaching and learning is good and to make a change you need to change the style fo teaching not the equipment!

4. Agreed on all said.... And a cynical man says maybe those with the purse might ask those in the "know" whether they are a worthy investment ...however they here to stay now so I'm after some free advice and suggestions.

5. School Boy Error

School Boy Error Occasional commenter

How did your head see them used? Surely, he should have shared why he thought they were good enough to go and buy a load.
    This does seem to be quite a common problem from all the posts on here. "I've been given an iPad what do I do with it?" as opposed to "I have a problem, how can I fix it. I know, an iPad would solve my issue." Funnily enough I've never seen a post like the latter comment!

6. Ha ha awesome pritprap....alas I fear a lot of that going on. Seeing the female teachers getting excited about the "pink" covers like it was an accessory was a bit sad too... If I offend any ladies out their I apologise but it was true all were on Amazon comparing style and colour schemes.....oh boy ha ha

7. Hey School boy error she saw some people using them for sport analysing performance and loads of cleer stuff.... Probably nothing that dartfish doesn't already do albeit at cost!!! She is from an art background so no doubt photbooth would have been impressive too but we can't all do Andy Warhol pictures in our lessons

What latter comment do your refer?

8. School Boy Error

School Boy Error Occasional commenter

I meant I've never seen a poster say, "I have this issue / problem in school." or "Would it be great if we could..." and someone reply "Ah, what you need is an iPad."
    I went on an Apple in Education course and it was very poor. The main uses were videoing each other or taking pictures but of course not being able to link to a network drive or plug in to download it makes transfering this assessment info tricky. Other than that .....we'll there weren't that many other uses.....

9. £400 quid - bargain.

10. Give screenchomp a go. It is a fantastic free tool for creating whiteboard doodles with audio over the top. You can then export these as movie files and even embed in your VLE. Great for teachers to use to create mini lessons and students to use to explain concepts.

11. We use iPod Touches throughout our Junior and Senior School and have seen real benefits, especially in allowing for quick, ad-hoc access to ICT and increasing engagement. Try some of these out:
    • DiaMath for times table practice and introducing basic algebraic concepts.
    • Motion Math Zoom for number lines
    • ScreenChomp for simple animation or annotating pictures/diagrams and recording a student comentary (uses in Science, Geography, MFL etc)
    • Doodlebuddy (simple whiteboard)
    • PocketPhonics
    • World Facts
    • Virtuoso & MusicStudio
    • Quipper
    • iTunes U
    Basic advice is just start downloading apps and playing with them. I'm happy to talk about how we are using them.

12. £400 - bargain.

13. You could try teaching them Flash instead.

14. djphillips1408

djphillips1408 New commenter

Of course instead of screenchomping you could do far more with PowerPoint or Smoothdraw, a bamboo tablet and camstudio. You know exactly what the Khan Academy does....... And would cost just a few quid for a secon hand tablet

15. I'd prefer anything frrom the top two shelves of http://www.pandawill.com/notebook-tablet-pc-mid-c438/android-os-c306.html?dir=desc&order=price&tablet_pc=40 than an iPad... personally.

16. Terrific list of apps. I'd love to know
    a) how teachers start using the iPad to teach
    b) did they get given an ipad/tablet or
    c) do the teachers bring these skills from their own experience and own device.

Looking for teachers doing "cool stuff" with mobile technology.

17. any school that makes a big commitment to apple and ipads - more money than sense. if they ere so fantastic for education surely the benefits would be clear. there wasn't a huge amount of talk about the benefits of an ipod touch in education, and lets face it the ipad is just a bigger version. hype, hype; so many tired and job threatened ICT teachers/HoDs are falling right for it.

18. djphillips1408

djphillips1408 New commenter

Just been playing with screenchomp you really can't be serious about its use. The pen tool doesn't give you any useful output in writing whatsoever. I buy the idea but you can't write using your finger on the screen to any level of detail, all it could do is enable you to scribble a few lines on a picture and narrate as you do it.

19. mercer77

mercer77 New commenter

I just started a thread about ipod touches in the Special Ed section of the forum, thought I'd copy and post my ideas it here. Anything you can do on an ipod touch you can do on an ipad. I bought five ipod touches specifically to do the part of the WJEC Entry pathway course on mobile devices.

1. There's a brilliant app called Imotion HD which allows pupils to make stop-motion animations. Very easy to use, you could animate plasticine figures etc. It will also do time lapse photography so can be set to take a photo every few seconds up to once a day. You could use it to study plants moving towards the sun, set it up in a window to study the movement of clouds over an hour etc. The app is free, but you need to pay a small fee to upgrade and be able to export the videos.

2. Storykit - I create quite a few social stories for autistic children. This app is a simple story maker that could be used to create instant social stories using the camera, adding text, and even little drawings drawn on the touchscreen.

3. Imovie - This is £2.99 (but can then be put on multiple ipods). I haven't tried this yet, but I plan to get pupils to storyboard and make short films (maybe adverts), as they can video, edit and add titles and music all on the ipod, then export it to a computer to be shown to other pupils on a whiteboard.

4. Photosynth - another free app, this allows you take a 3d surround picture of any room or environment. You have to see this in action to appreciate how it works, but it's brilliant! Could be useful to help an autistic child prepare themselves for a rather worrying new environment, for example.

5. Virtuoso Piano - a lovely free piano using the touchscreen. Obviously much better on an ipad where the screen's much bigger, but it's good fun and very handy in music lessons for identifying notes, and getting pupils to compose simple tunes etc.

6. Dragon Dictation - a surprisingly accurate tool which converts the spoken word into written text! You do need to speak quite clearly, so it could be really useful in speech therapy, and for any pupil who struggles to write or type. This does require an internet connection to work however, and I think out school internet filter blocks it.

On a technical note, if you've got a wifi network in school it's very easy to connect them to that, and you can enter proxy settings so the pupils get the same filtered internet access they will get on the computers. If they are all synced with one computer on a single itunes account, then it's easy to get them sync by wifi. This means that any app you install on one ipod will pop up on all the others when they sync. I'm going to buy a £25 itunes voucher so that I've got a running budget to buy a few apps. Pupils cannot install apps themselves as it requires a password.