1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

iPads in class. Reasons AGAINST please.

Discussion in 'Computing and ICT' started by roy33, Mar 22, 2012.

1. DJ
    Had a quick look - very interesting, but it looks more like an entertainment device. OK for home but not for classroom - I would hope for something with proper front facing camera (rather than webcam) for students/ pupils taking pictures and bluetooth for collaboration between pupils and teacher. Like the idea of expansion via SD and USB. Wonder about build quality in the classroom. Also an issue of viruses on Android.
    Regards
    Alex

2. djphillips1408

djphillips1408 New commenter

To be honest your rationale for not buying them is outweighed by the fact you can get 5/6 of them for the price of an iPad. The key question is what can an iPad do that this thing can't? You really should try one out they are surprisingly useful

3. More like the other way round. Because Android is open there is none of this stuff about doing everything through iTunes. You can just put stuff on a memory card or sometimes a USB stick. Apples are prettier and are currently better off in software but this won't last.

4. djphillips1408

djphillips1408 New commenter

And this means? Sorry but can you justify what you are saying?
    you are aware that the ipad's front facing camera is 1.3 megapixel, my 3 year olds vtech has a better res than that and tha cam on this tablet is 2 megapixel
    it ahs bluetooth
    just as likely as viruses on apple, they are both really based on UNIX as I understand
    try dropping an ipad on a hard floor from 3 foot

5. Alex, wake up mate - the IPad was never designed for anything useful - it's a gluttonous feast of gimmicks in one big fatty serving.
    It is far less useful than a netbook and remember the craze for them, what, all of a couple of years ago?
    Kinda like a low-rent portable X-Box.
    Aren't you like the rest of us? Want to mess around, get the IPad out, wanna work, reach for the laptop.
    As for 'build quality' - do I not remember you posting about having to repair one of the things a while ago?
    IPads are built to look sleek but no-one concerned themselves with testing them in real-life situations.

6. I think it would be pretty hard to argue against that one for the educational setting or elsewhere - loseably chep, if you know what I mean.
    As I have more money than sense, I have ordered one and will compare it to my Nexus which arrives tomorrow.
    I'm expecting screen quality to be the biggest disappointment.
    It's gotta be said that you can point out the advantages of cheap Androids over incredibly expensive IPads 'til you're blue in the face but the Apple believers won't listen.
    The brand is powerful.
    It's the same situation as we get with phones isn't it?
    The IPhone has semed behind the curve for the last year or two to me.
    But they won't listen.

7. NJB,
    My mum used to hark back to using the slate in the classroom. They used chalk instead of their fingers. They used a duster instead of their fingers. They couldn't point and click to take a photo. They couldn't do all sorts of fancy stuff with apps.
    No you remember incorrectly... my wife was given a second-hand iPhone 3GS and my brother-in-law also thought it nice to throw in a shiny new back cover. Unfortunately this meant me removing everything inside which was attached to the back cover to remove the back cover. An interesting exercise I won't be repeating in future.
    People are testing "them" in real-life situations. We have a collaborative group in college and there are many schools around the world using them. iPads are expensive but authorities everywhere are buying them up - probably because of the FANTASTIC apps for them (I don't include mine in that).
    As for new hardware, I bought a Blackberry Playbook not that long ago - it is a better spec and neater size than iPad or many other iPad-killers out there: but its app support is S***E, hence RIM's position.
    I am just in the process of getting an app rejected by Apple for ridiculous reasons: which I am appealling against, so don't assume I am a fan of Apple; but with the apps they have built for the device, there is a long way to go for others to even think about taking them on. I remember the lack for support I got from Apple even way back in the 1990's, when the majority of our development was for PC's. Apple almost disappeared then and the wheel may turn yet, but not now.
    Regards
    Alex zzzzzzzzzzz....

8. To be honest, Alex, I make 20% and growing of my income from Maths tutoring.

Consequently I hang out on the Maths forum where I saw your app get a heroic but polite butt ***.

Be honest, there is nothing in the app store that isn't done better and for free in Flash.

The time you have wasted on this ridiculous obsession of yours is like a bad marriage; tough pill to swallow but move on and learn. It hasn't killed you; there is a chance you could get stronger.

9. colwynexile

colwynexile Occasional commenter

I haven't had much chance to go through the forum this year, but am spending my last free lessons catching up on gossip and stuff. Looking at the thread (seeing as how our SLT keep threatening to go down this route by giving ipod touches out) my main concern with one of the earky things the OP said was the need to "leverage" it into his teaching.
    Don't know about you but my teaching doesn't need so many whistle and bells to make it interesting. However, where there is a need for something (like an Activ-Vote system, or online survey), I can go to my pc and download it. I can then email my kids, or leave it on the network for them to access, I can even post a link on moodle for them to use at home for homework or if they miss my lesson. I can do this all by myself.
    Ipad /pod/phones need to download via the app store, so before this is set up you need policies in place as far as who can purchase what, do I need to go to the office so they can enter the password in app store so I can download (or even update) the software I want, etc.
    Then what happens if the kid forgets it. They should be self synching, but if they don't bring it in with them (they forget pens / pencils that they have to use, you watch, they'll get bored and forget it) what happens then.
    As far as build quality goes, well maybe the lower quality (reportedly) is a good thing, as it teaches the little darlings some level of self responsibility not to do anything daft just because it wasn't paid for out of their pocket money - break it, pay for it!
    And despite all this I still scan the app store looking for useful apps to justify pushing the SLT into doing this, but as yet I can see VERY little that would be of any use. Where is the equivalent of activ-vote, etc.
    Enough reasons?

10. DEmsley

DEmsley New commenter

11. I'm a bit lost on the recurrent argument that while iPads are great for browsing at home, they serve no purpose in the classroom. Don't students use the Internet in school to find out information?

12. Penny10p

Penny10p Occasional commenter

This whole debate reminds me of the interactive whiteboard fiasco. IMHO a great deal of money has been wasted by schools on Interactive whiteboards which are only used as projection screens. Certainly there are teachers who use theirs every day and would be lost without the, but for every such teacher I would guess that there is one like me who never uses it. I have tried over the years to get enthusiastic about them, but I keep finding that the board doesn't work, or the pen doesn't work, or the pen is los, and I give up.
    If I might digress for a moment, however, I am a big fan of desktop computers. I love my IT suite with it's desk top PCs and find it great to teach IT in. Our machines are about 5 years old now and I have asked for new ones. There are mutterings that we might be going to do away with IT suites and have all students bring in their own laptops. (It's a private school so we can do that!) Students will use these in all lesson including IT. My gut instinct is that this won't work. I have suggested that it will be difficult for students to print ("we should be going paperless anyway") and asked what we would do about getting the software onto the computers ("we'll have use frreesoftware and the kids can download it themselves"). Does anyone have any other thoughts on this? Would it be a good move?

13. Captain Obvious

Captain Obvious New commenter

Manipulating that information is the hard part. I find copy and paste on iPads clunky and since you can't display two apps side-by-side on an iPad, there's also not much cop for referring to text like you can with a PC (and Galaxy Tabs, IIRC).
    And sometimes its good to not have the web at your disposal - making an effort with a book can be much more effective, especially as they have to think about what's in front of them!

14. Copy and paste is a bit tricky on an iPad, but doable. Even so, it's probably better if they don't copy and paste, but make notes from what they're reading on screen, so in this sense the inability of an iPad to display apps side-by-side is an advantage over a desktop or laptop.

15. If you think the "Top 10 Hottest **** Stars" or "X Factor auditions latest" is information, I suppose they do.

16. I think this ridiculous comment reveals why there is such an anti-tablet, and especially anti iPad, discussion on the TES forums. A lot of the comments are written by secondary school ICT teachers who are, because of the demands of the curriculum, locked into desktop computers and static ICT rooms. I used to be one of them! In an ICT room it's fairly easy to set up filtering and very easy to look at a screen to check students are on task. But I suspect some of the anti-tablet ferment is coming from ICT teachers who simply do not trust technology that exists outside the walls of an ICT suite, nor those who use it. It may also be because more mobile technology erodes the monopoly they once had on school-based technology.
    My previous post was clear: if iPads are useful tools for finding out information at home, they are good for finding out information at school.
    Right, off to check out the latest X factor auditions on my DESKTOP computer - it has a bigger screen, better for video.

17. Your previous post didn't say that; it said:

Browsing yeah and there's always Temple Run, too.

But if you're suggesting that they are USEFUL TOOLS you really are being ridiculous.

18. More that we don't trust the pupils.
    I have noticed that all the high power iPad pushing is almost always from schools with a good intake, former Grammar Schools and the like. There is little or no comprehension that pupils may steal them and sell them for drugs or whatever.
    It always amuses me when I'm accused of ludditeism. I've got ridiculous amounts of technology in my little office. You can't move for one board or gadget or another.
    But that's not, I suspect, what most people do with iPads.

19. 'All the high power ipad pushing is almost always from....'

Which is it? Always or almost always? Or don't you actually know?

I'm fairly sure my school doesn't have what you would term 'a good intake'. Far from it. Nothing's been stolen. We have systems in place to make sure they don't.

20. Almost always (did I say always ?)
    There are people trying them out in small trials. And there is the usual insanity with people buying them by the bucketload without a clue what to do with the and no budget for software or maintenance.
    Tech stuff has been like that ever since I started teaching in the mid 1980s.