1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

iPads if funds available are they worth buying?

Discussion in 'Art and design' started by rurt, Apr 13, 2012.

1. Hi
    Might have some extra cash coming for the department keep hearing about iPads...should I buy some? Would they be used with ks3 or ks4 with smaller groups. What would they be best used for. Setting up gcse photography would they be a useful tool or just expensive gimmick ? Any advice or examples etc or Schemes, suppliers would be appreciated
    Cheers
    Rurt

2. darkness

darkness New commenter

God no. You would be asked, what skills they learn by using them. I can't think of any ICT skills really, certainly no typing or program skills.

Expensive toy if you ask me.

3. go for it, they are great, i have several research websites i have been looking at to build up a great argument for schools to purchase them, i a have them saved some where ill post them up when i found them. We definitely need to be looking to new media in art classrooms just think of the current David Hockney exhibition at the Royal Academy with his iPad "Paintings' also get enough of them and you could use the googleartproject website during your lessons!! without having to book computer rooms, get laptop trolleys or have lots of desk space used up!!

4. darkness

darkness New commenter

Firstly check compatibility with LA. We have an issue here where firstly the technicians are primarily PC, secondly, issues linking to County resources and websites. Can be expensive software compared to PC versions. What actual IT skills would they learn? Would you be better with laptops and graphics tablets? Can the IPad be used for other things as easily? internet searches for research etc? typing skills? What would you get more out of really?

I find the I pads an expensive item where little actual learning can take place compared to other IT equipment. Do we think companies will be using Ipads professionally in the future?(very debatable)

Kids may love them and it may well engage them, but surely for the money you would have to justify using them quite a bit and at what expense?