1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Ipad

Discussion in 'Primary' started by ejayc, Jul 21, 2011.

1. Does anyone have a school ipad? If so how do you manage the account? Has the school set one up?

2. Does anyone have a school ipad? If so how do you manage the account? Has the school set one up?

3. Loony tunes

Loony tunes New commenter

Hi, our ipads don't arrive until September so we've not worked it all out yet but we have agreed that we'll use vouchers to buy apps, rather than linking the accout to a school credit card. There are often 2 £15 vouchers for £20 type deals around so it seems a way we can save a bit of money...

4. I was wondering how a school could afford to kit out classes with iPads... is there a vast bulk/education discount from Apple?
    Would you generally get one class-set to use throughout the school?
    Do you expect the cost to be justified?

5. Loony tunes

Sunscorch - I teach in a special school where we have about 10 pupils per class. We're about to get 6 ipads. 3 for my class and 3 for a higher ability class for us to prove the value of and then role out to the rest of the school if we can find the funds. I also teach IT to 2 other classes and run an IT club so quite a number of pupils across the school will get use of the 6 we'll have. But yes, I'm expected to be able to prove detailed evidence of the benefit of the ipads.
    No discount from apple but PC world have given us a 10% discount. We're hoping that we'll also be able to use them as communication aids for some of our pupils so if you compare the ipad, cover and app you're looking at about £580 compared with a couple of thousand for a traditional communication aid which can only be used as that - there's no comparison.
    However, at the moment we are having problems as althoug quite a number of schools in our LEA have bought ipads, our wonderful county IT department are refusing/unable to allow anything that is not windows acess the internet in our schools so for the moment, we're only going to be able to download apps at home for use in school. Needless to say there's a group of us really fighting them on this and we're beginning to make some progress.

6. I'll be interested in seeing how they work out. Do you know if they're first generation units, or second?
    With respect to the "internet" issue, iPads can be connected to a Windows PC with iTunes installed, and have iTunes download the apps straight to the device. The iPad itself doesn't really need an internet connection.

7. We are very fortunate to have 20 ipads and 20 iPod touches in school. They all sync up to one Mac book which we purchaced at the same time!

I love them!!!!

We have a school iTunes account, so far we have only bought scrabble - all of the other apps we have are free ones, there were 121 at last count.
    We have just placed an order fir another 20 of each so that we can target the apps to each key stage-this should also reduce the arguing between the teachers for who is going to have them each lesson!!

8. Crowbob

Crowbob Established commenter

Apple offer quite a decent discount when ordering through their education site.

9. Loony tunes

Unless things have changed in the last couple of months, Apple don't give discounts to special schools. We did try getting a quote from our local apple store (staff member's brother works there) and they didn't give us any discount. Those of you in primary schools may be able to get a discount through them.