1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

iPad v netbook

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by becksldrt, Jul 16, 2011.

1. I'm starting an English PGCE in September and have the chance to get either a netbook or iPad for my birthday, just before I start. I already have a MacBook, which I'll be using most of the time, but I'm looking for a back up that I can take into uni/schools for work. I'd rather have an iPad, but I'm worried about typing for long periods. I just wondered what people who have just done a PGCE would recommend?
    Thank you!

2. Hi Lou

Just wondering which you found most useful. I start my PGCE next month and am considering if I need a Kindle (for text books) and as my lap top is quite old whether I should go for a net book or an iPad.

Liz

3. Well, to be honest I feel like I need both - the iPad is portable and starts up instantly, but for creating proper documents/lesson plans/writing essays you really need Microsoft Office, plus for printing. Both have different benefits! Lou x

4. littlemissraw

littlemissraw Occasional commenter

I'd say Netbook, epecially if you have a Mac at home. That was you have acess to both platforms and its far better for typing. Make sure you get one with standard sized keys. My Samsung NC10 was fab so maybe look at the reviews on the newer models (the batteries lasted all day which was very useful) x

5. Thanks - that's really helpful. x

6. Seconded - if you have access to both platforms that could be particularly useful and typing will definitely be easier! I don't know about iPads, but bear in mind that if you'll want to use CD-ROMs or burn discs then an external CD/DVD drive will be an additional expense as netbooks don't have them built in.

7. I'd go for a netbook. You'll find you'll be using USB memory sticks a lot and an iPad doesn't have a port for them. Personally, I had neither, but worked on my college PC and then used my memory stick to transport stuff from home.