1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

iPad use in a biology class.

Discussion in 'Science' started by Sharkey-320, Feb 10, 2012.

1. I am looking for any creative uses for a set of iPads in a Biology class. There are the videos on iTunes U, though what is beyond that? Are there any can't live without apps? All ideas welcome.

2. alessio

alessio Administrator

Have you seen iCell? We recommended it as app of the week on our landing page http://www.tes.co.uk/article.aspx?storyCode=6168575 (it'll change on Monday though). There is also an online version of the app, it's free and works on any platform, i.e. Apple and Android!

There is also the new multitouch iBook Life on Earth, also free and really well polished! Here's what these books can do http://www.apple.com/education/ibooks-textbooks/

3. Educake

Educake New commenter

Hi - I work for Educake, which is a new startup. We are producing a testing resource for GCSE Science for iPads, iPhones, Android phones and tablets and Blackberrys. It will obviously also work on PCs and Macs.

It will be launching in the summer term, but trials are taking place next month for AQA A Science. We have space for another two schools for the trials, so if you would like to take part, let me know.

4. Educake

Educake New commenter

Hi - Thanks for replying.
    We'd like two things from our trial schools. Firstly, to use the resources and let us know what you like and don't like, and how you and your students tend to use it. And secondly, it'll be a beta version so we want to know of any bugs or errors you might come across.
    In return, we'll give you free use of the resources for a year.
    They'll be ready in a few weeks for the trials, so your students will be able to use them for this summer's exams.
    Email me at charleydarbishire@educake.co.uk and I'll send you some more details.

5. blinkinsmart

blinkinsmart Administrator

If you are still looking for schools to trail then my school would be very pleased to help as we have iPads currently being used by students in lesson. Please contact me to arrange contact me via TES or @gavinsmart

6. I use my iPad for Biology teaching all of the time and we also as a cluster before the iPad was released had a set of 26 iPhone 3GS. We designed lessons using some of the following apps.

Molecules - great for A level structures and showing complex 3D proteins
    3D Brain - an excellent app to allow students for GCSE or a-level to investigate the brain
    Cell and cell structure - this is 1.99 but worth every penny. Lovely videos and animations
    TreeID - expensive but high end app for classification lessons

For organisations that use iPads does each student have an apple ID or do all the iPads share one ID so you can share apps that you just buy once?

The iPad 2 is very useful as you can display mirror through a projector!

7. Tests using Socrative.
    Immediate response into your area.

8. Educake

Educake New commenter

Many thanks to everyone for the offers of trialing the product. It's much appreciated.

9. would love to take part!

10. Educake

Educake New commenter

I'm afraid we've had lots of offers to take part in the trials, so we have enough schools now.

Having said that, you will be able to trial the site for free when it launches, so you could see what you think then. We are always going to want to know what teachers and students think, so we'll keep developing and improving the software.

11. Educake

Educake New commenter

A quick update - the testing has gone well and the site is now live. Apologies to those who we couldn't fit on the original trial, but there is now a free 3 month trial for all schools at www.educake.co.uk

12. I know I'm a bit late,but I really like Nova Elements. Aside from the uses in chemistry, it has a moveable 3D model of the four bases of DNA. I have my iPad hooked up to Apple TV in class so wirelessly stream it to the board.

TimeTree is nice for phylogeny... 3D Brain is, well, a... 3D Brain.

I also use Wolfram Alpha. You can produce phylogenetic by typing in two species names, to show where they branched off.

VisAnatomy Lite is okay for physiology, and a fantastic educational game,mVirulent, let's you take control of a virus that invades a body.

13. ITs good to here that you are using iPad in your biology labs, I find one more impressive apps i.e. WAGmob in this you can easily get all detailed information about organisms and can improve your lessons quality. Please give feedback if you like this application.