1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

ipad/ kindle etc for reluctant primary school readers?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by susanrk, Feb 3, 2011.

1. susanrk

susanrk New commenter

I've posted this is Primary with no replies so am trying here! I'm a SENCO and looking for new ways to motivate reluctant readers. Does anyone have experience with e-books etc in primary schools that might help me decide what to buy to try out the theory that this may well be a good way forward? Many thanks.

2. susanrk

susanrk New commenter

I've posted this is Primary with no replies so am trying here! I'm a SENCO and looking for new ways to motivate reluctant readers. Does anyone have experience with e-books etc in primary schools that might help me decide what to buy to try out the theory that this may well be a good way forward? Many thanks.

3. The kindle will read to you but I assume the app works the same on the ipad. It seems a lot of money given that you still get words on a page, albeit an electronic one.

4. As the owner of a Kindle I wouldn't suggest you get that for a child to learn to read.
    It is black and white only and doesn't have very good pictures - it also has limited childrens books on it.
    I don't have an iPad, but from what I've seen of them that would be more suitable as it is colour and interactive so you could put stuff on it for the kids to do (bit like a personal interactive whiteboard!)
    Not sure if that is a solution - I teach in a SEN school and we have iPads but don't use them for reading! It is books, worksheets, computer programmes, IWB, games, puzzles etc
    Hope that helps?

5. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

Books.

6. I agree. For the price of an ipad you could take them to a bookshop and let them choose a whole new library for you. If you really want them to love reading rather than love messing about with a touch screen, the best thing to do is find them a couple of books on subjects that interest them. I'd also suggest audio books on mp3 players if you really want technology - again it won't help them learn to read.

7. rosievoice

rosievoice Star commenter

Join the local library. The important thing is that reluctant readers are free to choose their own books.

8. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

I love my Kindle - but I really believe it's a device for reading fanatics, not the reluctant.

9. I think it has the 'novelty' factor, but that is all.

10. Bethannie

Bethannie New commenter

I love my Kindle.
    However, it would be far from my first choice in encouraging reluctant readers.
    The Kindle has a fair selection of children's 'classics' for free and more modern stuff if you are prepared to pay. But would they honestly read from the Kindle if they don't read books? Maybe for about 5 minutes. Then it would be rejected, just as books are.
    The Kindle has quite a small and fiddly keyboard. Not ideal for uncoordinated fingers (trust me, I know!)
    Yes, the Kindle can read (most) books to you - but it is far from an attractive voice (although hearing it mangle the German language still makes me laugh!) - very American, and completely unnatural - and it makes a fair few mistakes with reading too!
    The fantastic benefits of the Kindle.....the sheer volume of books available;the number of books it can store; the fact you can get books in various languages; the free newspapers; the admittedly limited Internet facilities; the easy of transporting the massive library it contains; the fact that many out-of-print books are now available to the general reader; the chance to read a free sample of any book before buying; the ease of buying.....really don't offer much to the young reluctant reader.
    A Kindle stocked with freebies and a few well-chosen paid-for titles would set you back between £100 and £150 .....Money that could buy so much more for the young readers...I would buy books for them. And more books. And comics. And books.Maybe a few magazines ( TV listings, computer games,sports and celebrities - depends on how old the primary learners are, and what interests they have). Plus a few books. And a bundle of puzzle books - all sorts. And any extra money - a few more books!

11. rach1968

rach1968 New commenter

I, too, have a Kindle and wouldn't recommend it to reluctant readers. It will save me a fortune in the long run as I spend at least a tenner every week on books! For children who are reluctant to read I would suggest the same as others on here have - take them to choose books with you, so it's their choice. Trial and error until you find something they like but hopefully they will eventually. I would also say that my husband has an ipad - fantastic but no way would I be spending that sort of money on children just to encourage them to read!

12. PlymouthMaid

PlymouthMaid Occasional commenter

I love my kindle too but I totally agree with everything Bethannie said above. Also part of me is screaming out '*** no more technology and gadgetry for kids' - let them learn to enjoy the real things and not expect every part of life to presented via a screen and keypads.

13. I got a kindle at christmas and like how I can take it into boring cover lessons and have a sly read if the pupils are settled without looking like a blatant skiver. Doesn't happen very often sadly

14. susanrk

susanrk New commenter

Thank you all so much for the replies. I totally agree about books over technology and am very reassured- though thought it might be an avenue worth exploring.

15. peterfogarty

peterfogarty New commenter

It is very funny. Everyone dismisses the Kindle but as far as I can see it is entirely based on gut feelings and a lot of guess work. I have founded a site called http://www.pictures-of-Romania.com which is proposing to do the classroom field work and once and for all answer the question as to how useful a Kindle is to a child.

They are currently looking for people to donate a Kindle to help their research. I think they are right about the speech. I do however know that there is now a place called the Children`s International library which has 10000 books I can access online with a Kindle so there is plenty to choose from.

5he site -if the project gets off the ground - will keep you informed about the latest advances in this topic. Let me know more about your questions to help me formulate my research ideas.

This was written on my Kindle in Bucharest so I gues you can guess I have an active interest in this project!

16. I don't dismiss the kindle. I dismiss it as a way of encouraging reluctant primary school readers. If there was limited access to books and we were discussing secondary readers I might see it as a very useful option but technology should be used as appropriate and not with a blanket approach that it is automatically better or more attractive.

17. Bethannie

Bethannie New commenter

I adore my Kindle! There are threads on the Book forum where I rave about how amazing it is.
    However, on this particular thread I have explained why I don't think it is the best option to encourage a reluctant Primary reader.