1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

iPad at an interview

Discussion in 'Design and technology' started by fundisi, Jul 4, 2011.

1. fundisi

fundisi New commenter

I'm looking for an NQT post however I have previous experience from teaching in Zimbabwe and from doing supply work for the past year in the UK.

Had an interview in Surrey the other day - they only gave us 25 minutes to teach a lesson on sustainability and then a 25 minute interview (and they kept making it very plain that they were in a rush!).Now I tried to squeeze too much into my lesson and I know where I could improve, however one bloke brought in an iPad with some interactive widgets gleaned from the internet - wind turbines that spin when you blow on the iPad etc - and of course, these really engaged the kids interest. When the pupils were asked about what they had learned I am sure they put this memoragle lesson on the top of the pile.

Anyway, my question is this: I know that it all pans out in the long run but how important is it to have the latest technological gadget/geegaw in order to that short term impact that wins you the job?

2. littlemissraw

littlemissraw Occasional commenter

A good school will see if its a gimmick or a if it is a well thought out way to make the lesson engaging. I don't think gadgets win brownie points just how well resources are used. Did he get the job? Did you see his lesson or was it just something that was mentioned?
    Wish there were some jobs going 'oop north'... x

3. I don't honestly think over doing the techy gadgets shows a good lesson - it just shows an ability to buy flashy toys and look "cool". Of all the interview lessons I've done this year, the ones I've been rated most highly on were those that relied on nothing but me and a white board - and both of them beat the candidates who had flashy powerpoints, video clips, and interactive toys.

I'm sure some schools will be impressed by gadgets, but are they ones you want to teach in? If you use it right it's helpful, but (in case it didn't show [​IMG]) I'm not the biggest fan of it being the majority of my lesson x

4. Spencer_DT

Spencer_DT Occasional commenter

Remember that an iPad is just a tool, I have one and it has it's place but a really outstanding teacher walks into the room with just a pen and still gets outstanding, that's the difference.