1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

iPad apps for teaching

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by Dr_Pips, Sep 9, 2015.

1. hi all,

just been treated to a shiny new iPad for teaching. I was wondering what apps people would recommend, specifically for maths, so I'm thinking things to help with graphs, using compass and protractor, formulae and equations.

obviously free ones would be best, but might be able to persuade my Hod to stump up some cash!

2. coffee-breff

coffee-breff New commenter

I use a graphing app called Desmos. The 6th formers have now downloaded it on to the phones too to use.

3. maths126

maths126 New commenter

GeoGebra is another freebie and excellent for compass constructions. However, most worthwhile apps will cost you about a pound to remove the monstrous adverts, or to get decent functionality. Wolfram have got several paid apps now (e.g. for Calculus), not to mention the free WolframAlpha (needs internet connection). You might also want to look out for MathStudio (think Mathematica for the iPad) but it's pricey at £30.

4. Colleen_Young

Colleen_Young Occasional commenter

I'll second the Desmos recommendation - free on iOS and Android and brilliant on web - I use it all the time.

5. I've only just started using ipads as a teaching aid. I will have a look at Desmos.

6. peacockisme

peacockisme New commenter

Does anyone have suggestions for cheap GCSEs maths app to motivate foundation level students to do some independent revision?

colinbillett likes this.
  7. colinbillett

colinbillett Occasional commenter

I'd second the Geogebra, although I don't use it on an ipad. I've got it on my lap-top, and wouldn't be without it. So useful for preparing in advance, and so much functionality. I'll go have a look at the app.
    Desmos is very popular, but I've not got myself confident in it yet.

8. Vince_Ulam

Vince_Ulam Star commenter

If you're pushing a maths app at your students then you're relegating the subject to a competition with Facebook, WhatsApp, Snapchat, YouTube &c, and maths will lose that race every time. Ensure instead that you have plans to provide clear, concise revision lessons from which your students may compose their own notes and from which they can revise independently via exercises you provide. Their motivation cannot be outsourced to smartphones and providing you and your colleagues make your students aware of the importance of finding their own motivation so you cannot be held responsible for that.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2016
    Owen134866 likes this.
  9. wanet

wanet Star commenter

Gosh, another I have got an ipad, what shall i do with it?

Vince_Ulam likes this.