1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Ipad APP suggestions??

Discussion in 'English' started by scarter21, Jul 24, 2012.

1. Ok, so I have just fallen off my chair in shock - my school have just giving me an ipad to trial. (I know, I know!). I have to prove that they can help improve the quality of teaching and learning...

So my question is - do you guys have any app suggestions? Specifically for English and the broader curriculum. All at KS3/KS4.

I don't even know where to start... but I am VERY excited.

Thanks!

2. lovely_lorz

lovely_lorz New commenter

Ok, so these are the best apps I have found and use for English teaching... Plus the cocktail app which is totally amazing but obviously not for the classroom ;-)

There is also a Teachers Planner app which is really good. I can't remember what it's called but the developer made it after discussions with a few of us on here:

Good reader,
    Dragon dictation,
    Timer+,
    icardsort,
    Show me,
    Idea sketch,
    Toontastic,
    Comic life,
    Emerge,
    Instapaper,
    Audio boo,
    Wonder list,
    Stick pick,
    Shakespeare in bits,
    Hat,
    iMovie,
    Word mess,
    If,
    Josephine hart poetry app,
    Verses poetry,
    Autology,
    Say hi,
    Google translate,
    Itranslate,
    Prezi,
    Flipboard,
    String augmented reality,
    Dropbox,
    Aurasma,
    Show me,
    8mm hd,
    Tic tac toe,
    iPhoto,
    Qr code maker,
    Photo booth,
    Garage band
    In my bar.

The ones I use a lot of in my lessons are Stick pick which creates Bloom's question stems differentiated for specific students; Aurasma- I have lots of posters in my room that I have linked to videos of me explaining things; icananimate- for stop time animation; iMovie for editing movies and creating trailers etc.; garage band- my sixth form have been creating rap versions of Thomas Hardy's poetry; the hat app- random name generator; and audioboo for creating podcasts.

Lau xxxx

3. jarndyce

jarndyce Occasional commenter

For planning, I use the iPad's own calendar. For a markbook, I'm planning to use iDoceo - it's a lot less fussy than the overprice Teacher Planner app.

Has anyone found any decent apps to help with spelling and punctuation?

4. sleepyhead

sleepyhead New commenter

You need to make sure your projector has an HDMI connection to use Apple TV. Mine's going to have to be swapped so that I can use it.

5. It's easy to compile long lists of single function apps. Better to have a core of go-to apps that can multitask.

Top of my list is Notability, a note taking and file storage tool that combines good word processing, image editing, sketching and PDF annotation. It even has an audio note taking feature. Total giveaway at 69p.

Soundbite

6. It's easy to compile long lists of single function apps. Better to have a few core go-to apps that can multitask.

Top of my list is Notability, a note taking and file storage tool that combines good word processing, image editing, handwriting, sketching and PDF annotation. It even has an audio note taking feature. Ideal for IWB presentation as well. Total giveaway at 69p.

Soundbite

7. You need to make sure your projector has an HDMI connection to use Apple TV. [​IMG]

8. sleepyhead

sleepyhead New commenter

That's what I said. There's little point in the teacher having an iPad to use if the students can't see what's happening on it. Apple TV allows you to mirror your iPad onto the screen, whether that be a tv screen or a projector and therefore a whiteboard. But to use Apple TV, you need the appropriate gizmo... And that requires an HMDI port on the device you want to link with. In my case, it's the data projector in my classroom.