1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

iPad; all that or what?

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by Vince_Ulam, Jan 21, 2012.

1. Vince_Ulam

Vince_Ulam Star commenter

I'd like to take some advice from the small, select group of the only people for whom I have respect but as I can't find them so I'm going to have to resort to you lot instead: If you own an iPad do you find it useful at work, at home and at points in between? Are there any particular apps you recommend? Do you find that the specs for which you opted are sufficient to your needs? How was your Christmas?

2. Vince_Ulam

As you've read those first questions then let me ask you another about wireless printers; what works for you?

3. googolplex

googolplex Occasional commenter

I have one. I use it at work because I can, rather than because it makes life any easier. I use 'numbers', 'noteshelf' and 'notes plus' (handwriting with ipad pens), and use 'daily notes' as a sort of diary/lesson planner/list writer. The latter isn't perfect, I wouldn't even say it is easier than my previous method which was to use a spreadsheet, and I confess I'm looking around for something else. Noteshelf is clever - particularly when responding to 6th form email requests for help/guidance with homework (I can write down what I need to, using any appropriate maths symbols, rather than having to use ^ for powers, or fiddle around with microsoft equation editor, etc) and numbers works well for simple record keeping such as kids' marks in homework but isn't anything like as sophisticated as excel.
    Apart from that, I use the internet connection to keep in touch, ibooks for reading, dropbox - v useful for moving files around... particularly when I'm away from home which I often am during the hols...
    I'm sure there's loads more I should be doing with it, but then Rome wasn't built in a day...
    Also, it lead to an interesting discussion amongst students which effectively lowered pupils' perceptions of my estimated age on the basis of my use of an ipad, as reported to me by teachers in my department!!!!
    So, from my experience, don't rush out and buy one if you're expecting life to become much easier, but do if you like playing with gadgets, and enjoy the internet. I wouldn't be without mine...

4. googolplex

and I use an HP wireless printer which came for about £5 (once the cashback had been claimed) from a promo at the apple store. It works but, like all such printers, the cartridges have ridiculously short life spans, and cost an arm and a leg to replace.

5. DM

DM New commenter

I was sent an unsolicited free wireless colour printer by BT a couple of years ago. I used it until the consumables ran out and then threw it away. Not needing to plug it in was convenient though.

6. Vince_Ulam

Thank you, Googol. For some time now I've wanted some kit which would allow me to download, store and read PDFs away from my desk - my problem with deskbeasts, lapbeasts and netbeasts is that they tend to get very hot and very noisy. I was about to go for a Kindle, even though I wasn't comfortable with the online arrangements, when a fortuitous Christmas encounter found me with the opportunity to play with an iPad 2 for around a week. It was a nice little test and I now cannot look Amazon in the eye. Reasonably zippy things, these iPads, light, comfortable to hold, the offline storage is an attraction too given that I tend to use Google Docs a lot already.
    I'll have a look at the note appls you mention. I like the look of Penultimate. Keynote attracts, too, as does Symphony, funnily enough as I'm not a musician - the attraction of musical notation suddenly struck me.
    A gadgets-geezer is not what I am, although my pockets are usually stuffed with geegaws. I'm sold on the idea, actually, but I like to canvas the opinions of existing users. White elephants belong in zoos, that's what I say.

7. Vince_Ulam

That's why God gave us employers.

8. mmmmmaths

mmmmmaths New commenter

Just tried out noteshelf loving it!

I use mine for quick Internet access, music from iTunes account, books using kindle APP,

Problem with reading is that it's not good outside in the sun, glare and overheats. But good for reading in poor light.

Viewing photos when way from home making deleting from the camera memory card easier.

Mine is an iPad1 would really like an iPad2 with the camera.

Definitely not essential but a good toy.

9. Vince_Ulam

Thanks, DM. I'm rather fed up with cables myself. Got a small suitcase full of the things I'd kept just in case they ever become handy but now I may just flog them off on Ebay as themed bondage gear.
    May invest in a wireless hard drive, too.

10. Vince_Ulam

Googol, how do you find the handwriting recognition works with maths notation?
    I've taken a look at several YouTube demonstrations of Noteshelf and Notes Plus. I'm impressed therefore I'm suspicious.

11. googolplex

If either offers handwriting recognition, I don't know about it! I do like using both handwriting apps, though, particularly with an ipad pen. It would have to be clever stuff to recognise my scrawl...
    There's nothing really to be suspicious of. They both work well. The other advantage is that I can sit through inset sessions taking notes without falling asleep...

12. I had an iPad (first version) the day it came out. I never really got along with it, at lest in part because I'd got used to having my MacBook Air with me all day long, though I have to admit that is missing the point of iPad. I will be investing again in an iPad 3 (in March?) since I really want to see what the new iBooks Author can do and the only way to test the books is by connecting an iPad to a Mac.

13. If it helps, I have several colleagues who were previously technophobes who are now iPad devotees. Without wishing to hijack Vince's thread, did anyone else watch Apple's iBooks/iTunes U announcement?

14. Vince_Ulam

I was thinking of WritePad, Googol, but I'm grateful for you bringing these apps to my attention; I can see how they may be very useful.

15. Vince_Ulam

Hello Sara. How do you use Author at the moment and what do you intend?

16. Hi Vince. Apologies for the long delay in replying, we had an OFSTED monitoring visit this week.

The iBooks Author is a free download from the Mac App Store for Mac computers. Apple have developed it to ease the process of making interactive text books (if you have a look on their webpage, it's under the tab 'Apple Education Event').

I've had a little play and it seems like a very intuitive app. I also have 'Motion' on my Mac so I intend to put together a short book, perhaps on fractions. I'm looking to make something that I could show to my Head Teacher that might make a case for buying a small batch of iPads to use with lower attainers. I'm looking to combine motion graphics/videos with the interactive quizzes that iBooks Author makes really easy to create.

I remember many years ago seeing 'Hot Potatoes' from making quizzes without needing JavaScript/HTML, iBooks Author looks like something similar for easily getting quizzes/matching exercises into an iBooks format.

I'll happily share what I manage, though it will be summer term before I'm able to have a proper go at things.

Hope that helps!