1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

iPad 2 offers

Discussion in 'Modern foreign languages' started by soniagilet, Jan 6, 2012.

1. soniagilet

soniagilet New commenter

Hi guys

My head has asked us to put a wish list as hods as she has some extra money to spend so I put laptops as we don't have any and today she came and suggested iPads instead. Now I have one and I have just tried to access a tautog mfl and it says that adobe flash player cannot be downloaded on apple...
    Any of you using iPads in your classes? What would be your opinions laptops or iPads? She has agreed to 30 iPads if we go for them.
    I am also worried about the fragility of iPads compared to laptops

Thanks for your advice

2. dalej

dalej New commenter

Hi soniagilet,

Have a look at this earlier thread which deals with using iPads in MFL
    http://community.tes.co.uk/forums/p/533420/7113042.aspx#7113042

You may also be interested in listening to a podcast I've decided to record every day this year on using the iPad as a personalised learning tool http://ipad366.posterous.com

Best wishes

Joe

3. spsmith45

spsmith45 New commenter

Lack of Flash can sometimes be a problem when using the iPad. It's a little frustrating although Flash may soon be out of date.
    The iPad is quite robust, but given its relatively high cost and the classroom environment, repair may be expensive. Some would say that a laptop is more convenient for typing. Screen size is also a point to bear in mind.
    The huge advantage of the iPad is its portability, but is that a prime concern in a classroom?
    I'd keep seeking advice and follow Joe's links.

4. spsmith45

spsmith45 New commenter

I forgot to mention that I discovered recently that not all Hot Potatoes exercises work on iPad (e.g. drag and drop) . languagesonline.org.uk does not function fully, for example. Andrew Balaam at High Wycombe GS is aware of this.This alone would edge me towards laptops.

5. steveglover

steveglover New commenter

Some advantages of the ipad to schools are that
    a) it will stay charged all day
    b) it doesn't have keys which can be pinged off
    for languages,
    c) press down on the vowel keys to select from a list of accented characters
    d) multiple language keyboards inc Chinese
    e) it is the best radio you could wish for and you can record from it a press of a button
    f) attractive, easily accessible programs such as linguascope
    g) The Evernote app and multiple other ones enable students to keep a personal
    eportfolio of their activities without the nuisance of uploading to a VLE or whatever, but with the ability to share with others such as teachers.
    h) attractive etextbooks
    For the latter there needs to be some way of procuring the textbooks in an economical and efficient way for whole classes.
    On the negative side I guess it is the gadget with the most potentail for distraction of students away from their work ever!

I think though some of the creativity apps such as Autodesk Sketchbook Pro (about 2.99) and equivalent recording/video editing apps are the things schools should be skilling pupils up on rather than playing round with easy to use gimmicky stuff unless this has a definite pedagogical purpose. There is usually a free limited version available. If pupils were trained up to use programs such as this (with a stylus in the case of Sketchbook) it could be used for all subject areas.
    The fact that Flash doesn't work apart from through the pay for Puffin browser is a disadvantage for those elaborate sites which have been created using it eg virtual Lascaux caves. Many of the projects under which these were created such as the free Guardian suite of materials (approx 20 million spend) will presumably not be revisited. Will HTML the appointed successor be able to deliver the level of complexity of some Flash interactivities with complex programming?

6. noemie

noemie Occasional commenter

It may be a silly question that shows my lack of gadget-geekiness, but might there be other tablets that are not Apple and therefore can use Flash? My husband recently changed his phone from an iphone to a non-apple one, and he now has access to flash-based websites. They might also be marginally cheaper as they don't have the "brand" factor... Anybody knows?

7. steveglover

steveglover New commenter

The main altenative at the moment to the Apple products is the google originated Android system which is now overhauling Apple based systems in terms of numbers sold. Supposedly Flash is a gonna on both apple and android systems in the medium term. Android is an excellent system and there are plenty of tablets which are cheaper than the ipad using the Android Honeycomb system although most research is focusing on ipad/itouch at the moment I think as the future of other systems is in doubt ( like the HP tablets which were flogged off in summer for practically nothing). Financially speaking it seems to be the case that apps which cost on the ipad are free on Android although this would require further research.
    I bought an ipad but find that most of the things I want to do are equally doable on the htc phone with android although the much extended battery life of the ipad is a big plus (12ish hours). The market place on both appstore and Android marketing can both be pretty confusing so it can be best to wait for recommendations.