1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

IP address - can people find out who and where you are?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by impis, Mar 9, 2012.

1. impis

impis New commenter

Don't quote me but I think it depends on your service provider. BT openworld, for example, issues an IP address, but then every so often [I think it used to be every 5th time you logged on your pc] it allocates a different IP address.
    Others issue one IP address and it stays the same. - This may have changed as there may be security issues with an IP address being constant over a length of time.
    Perhaps a search on t'internet will answer your question.

2. chocolateworshipper

chocolateworshipper Occasional commenter

The only people that could track you down from your IP address is your ISP (Internet Service Provider). Therefore, the exam board could only trace you by going via the ISP. I would imagine that the ISP would only give those details to the police / inland revenue etc - not to a nosy exam board.

3. colpee

colpee Star commenter

The answer is no. The police have powers to ask ISP's to find out who used a certain IP address at a certain time, the exam board do not.

4. inq

inq

If you're worried set up a free gmail account and email from a library or internet cafe.

5. Crowbob

Crowbob Established commenter

"IP address - can people find out who and where you are?"
    I am a little disappointed. I thought that you were thinking of a really clever way of finally finding Nemo... [​IMG]

6. modelmaker

modelmaker Occasional commenter

When I worked in sales, I'd do whatever I could to get some background on potential customers. An email just asking for prices might end up in a sale, but more often than not, it would be from a competitor looking to undercut. There's email tracing software on the net that will tell you where an email originated from and uses the information in the email header.
    I'd also look at the webstats to find out who'd been visiting our website. It wasn't that difficult to link an email enquiry sent shortly after a website visit by a competitor to the location the competitor was based in and put two and two together. I'd send them a price 10-20% higher than we'd normally sell the goods for and wait for the enquiry from the person actually in the market for the goods to contact us for a better price.

7. dumpty

dumpty Lead commenter

This is the way to give yourself 100% peace of mind, especially if you also open the gmail at the library. For although the others are correct in that data protection stops anyone but the highest authorities accessing this information, it is easy to get the original IP address from the email header, meaning anytime you wrote again it would be liable to being 'noticed' IF they really did care that much! (Unlikely!) Anyhow doing the above leaves nothing but a trail to the library.

8. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

Anyone can log IP addresses and anyone use an IP tracker, they're readily available online. The closest it will get you in most cases is to the user's Internet Service Provider, who will use a lot of different IP addresses within a certain range of numbers.

If you log in from a state school or public library the IP will probably relate to the local authority's Internet Service Provider. It might be different for a college or academy if they use their own provider.

Cyber cafes are less anonymous than you think - some cafes have unique IP addresses that allow a computer user to be IP tracked to that specific building address. This I know because we once did it to locate a troll who was spamming a bulletin board I run. It gave him the shock of his life when one of us pretended they'd been in the same cafe watching him posting.

9. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

Sorry...this is NOT your job or your business! Surely there's enough to do at work without spying on colleagues.

10. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

oh...and a few years ago someone who used to post regularly on TES was able to work out the street on which I lived from my IP address. He's a good friend and only did so to demonstrate how little anonymity we have on here and out there in the big bad world.

11. On here you should be ok as no other poster should have any way of gaining access to your IP addy. However the second you send a private email to another poster they will have your address (at that point in time) and, depending on their knowledge, can get pretty close to your whereabouts. That coupled with knowledge gleaned from your posting habits could lead them straight to you.

12. Ahh but..........when you use library PCs you need your library card...and you are allotted a certain PC* for a certain amount of time....all logged.
    So...if you were the mastermind of an international gang....(who nips into his local library with his card to contact Don Corleone in Sicily...like masterminds do...) you COULD be traced....and of course there is CCTV in the library too. [​IMG]
    Given all you are going to do (maybe) is a bit of snitching to an exam board I doubt very much if their bods would be bothered about your real identity....nor would the local CID or MI5 etc...(but don't quote me....[​IMG] )
    Sherlock Eyebrow.

*Not Police Constable in this instance....

13. Crowbob

Crowbob Established commenter

I was really proud of this bit of wit and nobody has commented on it [​IMG]
    I expect that you are all unable to type a response because you are doubled-up with laughter. [​IMG]

14. dumpty

dumpty Lead commenter

Very good point! I know my local library has a 'walk in and use if free for 15 minutes' computer, which would be fine, though....although by the time the OP has gone through all these worries he/she will be thinking the board will have library keyboards swiped for fingerprints :)
    But yes - excellent point about the library card login, which would then make using a library computer (if not the one above for short term/no registration) the least safe of all, as all you will need are some friends at that library or the council....probably the same offices as the board here!! Man, how hard can it be to send an email :)

15. misterroy

misterroy New commenter

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Remailer

16. Hi no probelm lookingfornemo the exam board can only trace the ISP address from your ip .There are many lookup sites found online like Ip-details.com to find location using ip address.Here they provide Ip search tool using which they can find the isp address,country,network and so on .So they can only know your isp address.But if need comes the exam board will contact your isp and ask details about you .I think the ISP will provide details about their users only to some authorised person like police or higher authority .

17. aspensquiver

aspensquiver Star commenter

lookingfornemo didn't say it was her job and she is making it her business - whatever some busybody on TES, thinks. You know nothing about the background.

18. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

Do you?

19. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

Haven't you watched Spooks?
    Nowhere is safe. The agencies have this ability to hack into CCTV anywhere in an instant. And do face matching to instantly identify you.

20. old_dobbin

old_dobbin Occasional commenter

Google: TOR