1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

IOE Primary PGCE Interview

Discussion in 'Thinking of teaching' started by EJDW, Mar 30, 2012.

1. Hi,
    Has anyone recently attended an IOE Primary PGCE interview? Any advice or suggestions? How was it? The school I was at on placement was quite a rough school so I saw more behaviour management than lessons, so I'm turning to the internet for ideas of a good lesson, and for my own ideas for when I'm asked what I think makes a good lesson!

Any advice, or what educational issue you talked about? What good lessons you observed?

Any help greatly appreciated.
    Thank you, and maybe see you in September? (hopefully for me!)
    EJD

2. Hi,
    Has anyone recently attended an IOE Primary PGCE interview? Any advice or suggestions? How was it? The school I was at on placement was quite a rough school so I saw more behaviour management than lessons, so I'm turning to the internet for ideas of a good lesson, and for my own ideas for when I'm asked what I think makes a good lesson!

Any advice, or what educational issue you talked about? What good lessons you observed?

Any help greatly appreciated.
    Thank you, and maybe see you in September? (hopefully for me!)
    EJD

3. I had one back in December and was successful, so hope I can help you out a bit.

I'm assuming the 'good lesson' bit you're talking about is the presentation. This is obviously totally up to you, but from what you've said I think it'd be a really good idea to talk about the school you did a placement in - explain the nature of the school and the problems posed by behaviour management and talk about a lesson where behaviour management was dealt with well. Either way, in your presentation, make sure you are analytical, and don't just reel off qualities that make a good lesson. They want concrete examples and proof that you understand how to engage a class. And if it's the same as it was in December, you are timed, and they will stop you, so make sure you have rehearsed it. I did mine in front of one other applicant and three IoE tutors. There weren't any questions about our presentations after we had finished speaking, they just said 'thank you' and that was that!

The presentation was followed by the individual interview of about 15 mins, which was fine. Make sure you're ready to talk about your school experience in lots of detail, show your enthusiasm and committment, talk about general issues in education, and know why your degree subject/experience is relevant to primary teaching/the Nat. Curriculum.

Some ideas for the educational issue, but make sure you choose something you're interested in and can offer an opinion on, they don't just want you to tell them what it is:
    -Inclusion
    -EAL
    -Phonics
    -The use of IT in schools
    -Literacy and numeracy hours
    -SEN
    -G&T children
    -Assessment, SATs
    -Equality/equal opportunities

I see you've posed on a couple of IoE threads recently - bear in mind some of them are from a while ago so people may not reply. There is a more current IoE thread a bit further down the page, so perhaps take a look at that. Good luck!

4. Hi MZammit

I have been offered a GTP place for September 2012 start at the IoE but have yet to receive full information, would you mind sharing your experience? I'm particularly interested in learning how the second school experience works and if you swap schools with others on you course. Also regarding the two school based tutors and their roles are you aware of any schools where one person takes on both of the roles?

Any other observations/advice gratefully received!

Thanks in advance

5. Thank you Hats, that's really helpful. I've made quite a lot of notes on my interview and will be back in the school after Easter so am hoping I can get some more ideas for my presentation then! For the educational issue I was thinking about the Education Review set to come in in 2014 but it's quite hard to find detailed information that isn't call for evidence or just general statements! I may go with EAL, that's a good idea and relevant to my placement school.
    Thank you again.
    Emma