1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Involving kids with their learning journals

Discussion in 'Special educational needs' started by Rachwins, Aug 16, 2011.

1. How do you guys get your kids involved in their learning journals?
    In my old job in mainstream, the children chose to contribute any work or pictures of work done in their 'free' time, and once a fortnight we would sit with them, trimming any work, sticking in observations work and pictures, and discussing what they have done.
    As mentionned in my other thread, I'm moving into a class of autistics and downs, some of which are non-verbal, all pretty low on the profile points. Getting the same amount of input from this class is unlikely, so I thought I'd ask what the rest of you do!

2. How do you guys get your kids involved in their learning journals?
    In my old job in mainstream, the children chose to contribute any work or pictures of work done in their 'free' time, and once a fortnight we would sit with them, trimming any work, sticking in observations work and pictures, and discussing what they have done.
    As mentionned in my other thread, I'm moving into a class of autistics and downs, some of which are non-verbal, all pretty low on the profile points. Getting the same amount of input from this class is unlikely, so I thought I'd ask what the rest of you do!

3. cs7

cs7

I think we are getting very similar class this year [​IMG]
    In our school we use weekly learning journals. As alot of our work cant be shown in a jotter or worksheet we take ALOT of photographs throughout theweek of the children doing a wide range of activities (good job I love being snap happy!).

On a friday afternoon we have 20 minutes of 'what did we do this week', where we sit down as a group and each child is given 2 or 3 photographs which i have printed from that week, and they choose their favourite (not all of them understand 'favourite' but most will point or eye point at one) . We talk about what is happening in the photo and then they stick it in a journal beside which i write a short sentence about the photo and the journal gets sent home every week for parents to look at. Parents love it and the kids seem to like looking at photos of what they have been up to. Spare photos are also filed in folders by staff according to currciular area and kept as a record in school.

Hope this helps!

4. I think this idea sounds great and would really like to try it, but where do you find the time? We have been told that photos should not leave school, pen drives ditto. Having said all that will hdefinitely have a go at inventing time!

5. Ha sounds like it, we should keep in touch to compare notes and swap pieces of sanity!

I'm trying to decide whether to go with the scrapbook style of LJs, which is what I worked with at my old school, or to switch to a folder, which is what they've been using at my new school. Pros and cons with both.

All of this, is obviously putting off having to do any 'real' work, as that bit is scaring me silly at the moment!

Ta for your advice again, I get the feeling I'm going to be picking your brains quite a lot this year...!