1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

inviting parents to read in class

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by SammyAnderson123, Sep 30, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Help! I read in TES about someone who had set up a session and invited parents to come in to school early before collecting children to read with them. I remember they had a catchy name for the sessions, which i cant remember! I have spoken to our literacy coordinator about running the sessions and she is happy to let me try, but doesn't have much faith as she has tried previously and not many if any parents attended. I need a catchy name! I am also going to try it at the end of the day and just pull parents in who are sitting on the benches outside! any other ideas that may help me?

2. robspillane

robspillane New commenter

Put the idea in children's head. Encourage them to ask their parents to come in. Normally if one comes, more will follow. Ask your reliable parents first. Ask them if they need a book to practise or tell them to choose their child's favourite book. For some, it's the public reading/performance element they don't like. Put a public sign up sheet outside for all to see with maybe 5 slots on it. Then it looks busy and full like there's lots of readers coming in. Also, give specific times and slots as if it's too wishy washy then parents will also be wishy washy about it.

3. May2

May2 Established commenter

Not sure if you meant for parents to come in to read to the whole class. Some schools have a 'mystery' reader and the parents sign up without their child knowing so the children guess whose parent will be coming that day. The children love the surprise. However I thought you were suggesting having a session for all parents, or as many as are available to come in to read to their own children and maybe one or two others whose parents can't attend. This could be after morning drop off or before home time. I have heard these called DEAR sessions. Drop everything and read. It does encourage parents to read to the children. They can choose a book from the classroom or bring their own. We allowed toddlers to join as long as they stayed with parent and looked at books too or were sleeping babies in buggies, basically no running around littlies.

4. May2

May2 Established commenter

We had these sessions once a week in Nursery and Reception and a Come and Play once a week so parents could join in some of the activities the children do. We would vary times and days on different terms so different parents were available. We usually had about half the parents attending and some would be dads or grandparents, not just mums. It depends on to your catchment area how successful it can be.