1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Invigilation duties May 2020

Discussion in 'Retirement' started by MrSaturday, Oct 21, 2019.

1. MrSaturday

MrSaturday New commenter

Early retiree etc. What is the rate of payment and general duties involved? Scottish/Scotland based if it makes any difference.
    Any advice/ suggestions and other - most welcome.
    And, is it worth it?[Financially] :cool:

2. Cantwaittogo

Cantwaittogo New commenter

I'd be interested in hearing about the same but in England thank you :)

3. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

Mrs P gets something close to £10 per hour, and is quite happy doing it. Just turn up, follow instructions, report any irregularities - it is not the most demanding of jobs. As for me, I got so bored invigilating internal exams, where the rules were not as strict, that I never want to enter an exam room again. Anyway, I can make far more by doing a little tutoring, and don't have to pay tax on all of it. But I have a piano tutor who is a former teacher, and he enjoys invigilating, so it depends on how you feel about it.

4. meister

meister New commenter

And remember in England you can pay the lower rate of NIC as an invigilator if you need to top up your SP!

stopwatch likes this.
  5. MrSaturday

MrSaturday New commenter

Thanks for this info, Piranha. I had no idea it was so poorly paid......……………..

6. diddydave

diddydave Occasional commenter

As with Piranha when I left ours, in England, was paying just above the minimum wage. For many it was barely worth their time travelling in.

7. catmother

catmother Star commenter

I'm not sure that someone who works at the tills in Asda or stake shelves in Lidl would agree that £10 an hour to supervise an exam is poorly paid.

tall tales and border_walker like this.
  8. diddydave

It is, in essence, an unskilled job - hence the reason it isn't one that requires a teacher to do it anymore.

It's also not just the hourly rate but the number of hours and frequency, as catmother says those on minimum wage wouldn't consider it low paid but they also, probably, wouldn't consider it because you only get short 'shifts' (1 hour exam = 1 hour pay) and it's only for a few weeks in the year.

It may make financial sense if you are, as meister says, wanting to get a better state pension as you can pay the class 2 National Insurance @£3 a week instead of @£15.

eljefeb90 likes this.
  9. border_walker

border_walker Lead commenter

Often nearer to 2 hours when setting up and clearing away is included.

Piranha likes this.
  10. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

Yes. My wife is told to turn up at a particular time before an exam, and claims for the time worked from then until when she actually leaves.

stopwatch likes this.
  11. diddydave

It may be 'IF' rather than 'WHEN', I know when we had 6 invigilators only 2 were required (and paid) for the setting up and clearing away - the others had, I think 15 minutes before and after.

12. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

It is true that sessions can be short. The school my wife works at is a five minute walk from home, but a longer journey, especially by car or public transport, would make it not worthwhile.

13. catmother

catmother Star commenter

I always got the feeling that money was not really why the team of invigilators who came twice a year to my school (Scotland) did it year after year,considering the type of car they drove (not cheap and not small). Most of them were retired professionals and it was probably something to do,same as being on various committees(church/rotary club and such like).

eljefeb90 likes this.
  14. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

At the moment, I have other, better work. Invigilating exams may well be a useful source of pocket money when my current work draws to a close

15. eljefeb90

eljefeb90 Senior commenter

I invigilate at a local Uni but also do professional exams. As with other jobs, a part of it is getting out and about , meeting people and doing something vaguely useful. I get paid between £10 and £15 an hour, the higher rate is for the chief examiner . It is straightforward and undemanding and yes, can be boring , depending on your mindset. I know I have said it before , but , before I took early retirement, I logged the hours I actually worked for several months as I knew the workload was getting ridiculous. I was picking up £2650 a month net as a Faculty head. I was working 65+ hours a week. That's about £10 an hour net. OK, I am not making allowances for holidays, pension contributions and union fees. On the other hand, I don't have the pressure of running a department and being subject to targets, lesson obs.etc, etc.
    So, standing there and pondering how I am going to spend this extra money isn't that bad a deal. Especially as it enables me to pay Class 2 national insurance contributions and top up my state pension.

tall tales likes this.
  16. Treacle3

Treacle3 New commenter

Yes... to answer is it worth it financially depends completely on your own situation - how much you need the money, how interesting you find it, how far to the venue etc. I'm going to be doing my first stint during November sometime (at a local school) and am looking forward to it as a change from my "main" retirement job (gardening business). The gardening pays nearly double the exam invigilating but is hard physical work in increasingly cold and wet weather. I enjoy it - but see the exam invigilating as a nice change (especially as the gardening will no doubt drop off during the winter months)… If I don't find the exam invigilating worthwhile, I won't be doing it for long.

Piranha likes this.
  17. Treacle3

Treacle3 New commenter

P.S. Personally, I didn't fancy tutoring as it seems too much like the job I've just gladly finished with - but I can see that it's good for many ex teachers to do. I may find I feel the same about exam invigilating. We shall see...

18. Jamvic

Jamvic Lead commenter

I’ve seen schools offering as low as £8.50 ph for invigilator duties. The low rate of pay, and sheer monotony of the job would put me off bothering to apply. I get the lower NI aspect though if this is a consideration for some people.

19. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

That was my view at first. However, I realised that if I saw tutoring as a source of a little extra cash, and only had a few students, it was a rather pleasant occupation, with none of the hassles associated with teaching in a school. I have a policy of being flexible, with both me and the student being able to change or cancel lessons so that I can go away if I want. I also will only accept students who actually want to be there. An hour spent doing Maths with a keen A-level student is actually rather enjoyable, and I pick up a decent rate of pay for doing it.

20. maggie m

maggie m Senior commenter

Interesting about Uni invigilation. My daughter tells me she got £20 an hour to do this when she was a PhD student

eljefeb90, Piranha and johnwgreenan like this.