1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

    Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

    Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

    Dismiss Notice

Invigilation and other support work

Discussion in 'Retirement' started by deut, Nov 6, 2015.

  1. deut

    deut New commenter

    I retired a couple of months back and I am having some problems adjusting to not working/teaching! I wondered about invigilation and how to go about it. I live in South West London (Richmond area). Does anyone know of colleges or schools that are looking for invigilators?
    Many thanks
  2. Morninglover

    Morninglover Star commenter

    Why not contact all those schools that host GCSE/A Level exam sessions directly - sending your CV and a letter outlining what you can offer?
  3. lindenlea

    lindenlea Star commenter

    Several of my friends - retired with no links to school - do this.They got in through personal contacts so go and make yourself known.
    Give yourself time. I did CAB till I realised I didn't need a work type activity any more. Now I just do a bit of committee work and voluntary helping out but am mostly lazy and self indulgent.
  4. Alldone

    Alldone Senior commenter

    Retired this year. My school contacted me and asked if I would be interested in invigilation. Said yes - they paid me to do some training! Have some work in Jan and most of May and June. Could you ask your last school if they have any work. I think schools are tightening up on invigilators and want to use external ones instead of existing teachers from the same school.
  5. Piranha

    Piranha Star commenter

    My wife used to be an Exams Officer, and was always on the lookout for invigilators. She would take almost anybody with common sense who passed DBS - somebody with school experience would be a real bonus. I doubt if it would take you long to find somewhere. I suggest that you contact Exams Officers, starting with the school most convenient for you. Good luck.

Share This Page