1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Invigilating Sats

Discussion in 'Governors' started by neddyfonk, Jul 20, 2018.

1. neddyfonk

neddyfonk Established commenter

After I had been a governor for four years I was asked if I would like to invigilate. Up until then I was not aware of the rules and requirement to have an impartial witness with no vested interest in the process or outcomes. Due to the importance of this and penalties for not complying I am surprised it is not a requirement to publish the name of the independent witness either on website or minutes of the governing body. This might seem trivial to some but there has been a number of schools that have knowingly broken the rules to view questions before the test, allow extra time or give unauthorised assistance.

2. Sundaytrekker

Sundaytrekker Star commenter

You shouldn’t be an invigilator. Your role as a governor is to monitor the process, that means come in and watch a session and check procedures against the government rules. You don’t need to be at all of the tests. That is, unless they want all tests invigilated by non classroom staff who would be paid for that role. I haven’t heard of that in most primary schools where we usually want familiar staff to be there. We always had two adults present, though, to ensure witnesses to correct procedures.

nomad and digoryvenn like this.
  3. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

Invigilate or Observe @neddyfonk ?

There's no requirement to have "an impartial witness with no vested interest in the process or outcomes", and if there were a governor of the school wouldn't qualify. Governors certainly have a vested interest in SATS outcomes.

It's only a suggestion/recommendation, not a requirement:

Headteachers should consider inviting a governor or another trusted member of the school community, who is not otherwise involved in administering the tests, to observe the administration of the tests.

Observation should start when test papers are opened until the completed scripts are sealed in the transparent bag after the test. If you choose to do this, your observer must be familiar with the contents of this document and other guidance on administering the tests.
    More detail here:

https://www.gov.uk/government/publi...cusations-of-maladministration-at-your-school

4. neddyfonk

neddyfonk Established commenter

Beggin your pardon,you is right. I wer Observin. I can confirm no one had a sneaky peek or bended no rules ( affectation due to Robert Louis Stevenson ).

nomad and Sundaytrekker like this.
  5. nomad

nomad Star commenter

And don't you come round my house, observin' through the windows while I am markin' 'em neither!

Lattelady likes this.