1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Invigilating exams

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by pwc9000, Jun 6, 2011.

1. pwc9000

pwc9000 New commenter

I am aware of the guidance on invigilating external exams from the perspective of our working conditions - that it isn't a task a teacher should be asked to do.
    I am also, to some extent, aware of the rules from the exam regulations side of things in relation to not being able to look at a paper if you are not staying for the duration etc.
    My question is whether there is anything in the exam regs relating to teachers invigilating? I am not talking about anything in relation to maintaining order etc. at the start of the exam, I am talking about teachers making up one or more of the required minimum number of invigilators for the duration of the exam.
    Anyone know?

2. pwc9000

pwc9000 New commenter

I am aware of the guidance on invigilating external exams from the perspective of our working conditions - that it isn't a task a teacher should be asked to do.
    I am also, to some extent, aware of the rules from the exam regulations side of things in relation to not being able to look at a paper if you are not staying for the duration etc.
    My question is whether there is anything in the exam regs relating to teachers invigilating? I am not talking about anything in relation to maintaining order etc. at the start of the exam, I am talking about teachers making up one or more of the required minimum number of invigilators for the duration of the exam.
    Anyone know?

3. PaulDG

PaulDG Occasional commenter

I currently work in the independent sector where it's entirely normal for teachers to be the invigilators so no, there isn't a problem.
    There may be an issue if it's your subject being examined but I don't have my paper copy of the regulations to hand though I exect they're on line on the exam board websites.

4. I seem to remember that the only invigilations you absolutely cannot do are (i) sole invigilator of your own subject; (ii) sole invigilator of a group of students if one of them is related to you. But that was from reading the regulations two years ago, things may have tightened up since then.

5. Hi all,
    The following extracts come from Instructions for conducting examinations, which is published by the Joint Council for Qualifications (JCQ) on behalf of all the awarding bodies offering GCSEs/A-Levels. <font size="2" face="Tahoma">The relevant section is 6.3, which states:</font>
    <font size="2" face="Tahoma">The head of centre, or exams officer, or quality assurance co-ordinator must:</font>
    <font face="Tahoma"><font face="Tahoma">appoint invigilators to make sure that the examination is conducted according to the following requirements:</font></font><font face="Tahoma"><font face="Tahoma"></font><font face="CourierNewPSMT">
    • <font size="2"><font face="Tahoma-Bold">at least one invigilator must be present for each group of 30 candidates or fewer taking written examinations</font><font face="Tahoma">;</font></font>
    • <font face="Tahoma-Bold">at least one invigilator for each group of 20 candidates or fewer sitting Practical examinations (Art, ICT and Science);</font>
    </font>
    • <font face="Tahoma-Bold"><font face="Tahoma"><font size="2">make sure that a teacher who has prepared the candidates for the subject of the examination during the academic year of the examination is not</font></font><font><font face="Times New Roman"> </font></font><font face="Tahoma">the sole invigilator at any time during a written examination or on-screen test in that subject</font></font>
    <font face="Tahoma-Bold"><font face="Tahoma">There are other points which may be relevant, so you may wish to review the full document, which can be found here<font size="2">.</font></font></font><font face="Tahoma-Bold">

</font></font>