1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

investors in pupils target boards

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by natashii, Jul 23, 2009.

1. Does anyone do investors in pupils? i need to do a target board for my reception class. Basically the class has a target/ individual taregts and the board needs to display them meeting this target.
    in the school y3 have done one about ducks getting to the pond if u meet ur target, i want an original craetive idea for my reception class but im stuck. I thought about a display headed 'jumping jelly tots' and each child is a jelly tot n if they achieve their target they jump into a sweet jar.
    any ideas??
    thanks in advance xx

2. Does anyone do investors in pupils? i need to do a target board for my reception class. Basically the class has a target/ individual taregts and the board needs to display them meeting this target.
    in the school y3 have done one about ducks getting to the pond if u meet ur target, i want an original craetive idea for my reception class but im stuck. I thought about a display headed 'jumping jelly tots' and each child is a jelly tot n if they achieve their target they jump into a sweet jar.
    any ideas??
    thanks in advance xx

3. I had a target display in my y1/2 class entitled 'reach for the stars' The children names were all on a rocket (from sparkle box) and they moved from planet to planet and got to a star at the top. When they had acheievd their target they got a gold star added to the display with their name on it. they then were given a new target and their rocket left earth (bottom of display) to gain another star when they met another target
    Hope that makes sense.

4. I cannot bear the thought of displayed targets - which formalises the target process.
    A better use of display is to use the boards as teaching and learning aids, work in progress displays - and displaying the children's work.
    Target-setting is another of those areas which should be 'taken as read' as good practice.
    But the way the government and local authority advisors have formalised target-setting has turned into an onerous task which seems to forget that we teach children numerous 'targets' (learning objectives) from a broad curriculum (and life-skills) which formalised becomes ridiculous.
    Unfortunately, we are then judged on things like target boards.
    Better to be judged on good use of wall space to aid teaching and learning directly.
    But, how ridiculous, that 'display' was added to that list which teachers are not supposed to 'do'.
    More stupidity from those in authority.

5. NellyFUF

NellyFUF Lead commenter

Aye
    There is nothing like letting small children know that they are failing and or behind in someone else's pre set agenda to suffocate self esteem.
    We all know that teacher is at fault if children do not meet their targets as displayed on the wall.
    But it is the children who sit day after day looking at their publicly displayed "progress".
    Imagine .... take it to the furthest extreme... if a parent or child minder displayed targets, around say for instance, toilet training... that would be classified as child abuse.
    Futher up the primary school, we have success criteria on display, on table cards sometimes, around full stops and capital letters and so on. It's all so dull.
    It's all so.............uniform.

6. I have had to argue my piont that they were inappropriate for EY in a Special school... Few of my clas have speech never mind reading!

7. Ours are chosen by the children as something they want to get better at. They are very astute at knowing what they want to achieve and love the way the whole class applauds their efforts. They choose things like fastening zips, using a knife and fork etc. They don't have to actually fully achieve anything - it's the idea of taking responsibility for their own learning and then doing something about it. We do one a term.