1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Investigation involving remainders

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by anon2145, Jan 12, 2012.

1. Please can anyone help?
    I have been tasked by my mentor (am a Primary PGCE student) to find an investigation for my Y6 class based on expressing remainders as fractions or decimals.
    I have looked on loads of sites but can't find anything. Any ideas would be very gratefully received!

Thanks

2. Please can anyone help?
    I have been tasked by my mentor (am a Primary PGCE student) to find an investigation for my Y6 class based on expressing remainders as fractions or decimals.
    I have looked on loads of sites but can't find anything. Any ideas would be very gratefully received!

Thanks

3. frustum

frustum Star commenter

http://nrich.maths.org/1015 might be a possibility

4. You can have the best fun ever (and practise division) by working out 1/9, 2/9, etc (and you get to prove that 0.9recurring is equal to 1, which they find bizarre). As a special treat you can do the sevenths - once you get the pattern of the digits from doing 1/7 and 2/7 you can see what 3/7, 4/7 and 6/7 will be.

5. Strangely, one of my A level students told me about a student who had shown this idea to his pure maths teacher. My student couldn't remember his exact words but the teacher definitely said that the agrument was invalid. After getting over how angry I felt I told my student to tell his friend that he was correct.

6. I'm not sure that I'd have got angry, but I'd have been interested to see his counter-argument.

7. Note that there's a distinction between saying the *argument* is invalid and saying the *result* is false.
    I confess I've never liked the 1/9 = 0.11... etc argument myself, because I think it's a lot *more* obvious that 0.99... = 1 than that 1/9 = 0.11....

8. lancsHOD

lancsHOD New commenter