1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Inverness

Discussion in 'Personal' started by susanrk, Feb 2, 2019.

1. susanrk

susanrk Occasional commenter

We're spending a few days in the area in the May half term. Any ideas of places to visit and things to do would be much appreciated .

2. peakster

peakster Star commenter

There's Loch Ness of course - but the area around it is lovely.

The town's quite quaint as well.

mathsmutt and catmother like this.
  3. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

I did a boat trip on Loch Ness to the castle (forgotten its name) last year and enjoyed it. Where the boats go from has a souvenir shop with the largest and tackiest collection of souvenirs you could imagine! Who knew there were 50 ways to make a plastic Loch Ness Monster!

If interested in historical sites the battlefield of Culloden is only a few miles north but I haven't been to it.

The town is quite nice for strolling around but not that spectacular. We walked into one pub and found ourselves watching an attempt on the world record for uninterrupted bagpipe playing (in another room fortunately).

4. teachntravel

teachntravel New commenter

We went to Inverness in the summer and had an amazing time. We did a Loch Ness tour, and spent time in the indoor market. There is also a lovely and massive second hand book store, if you're into that. I could have been there for hours. We did do Culloden and Clava Cairns as my friends and I are fans of Outlander, and it was very interesting and beautiful. As we had an extra day, we also did an Isle of Skye day trip from Inverness, which was gorgeous as well. I am planning to go back again as I loved it so much! Have fun! :)

mathsmutt likes this.
  5. Wotton

Wotton Lead commenter

mathsmutt likes this.
  6. koopatroopa

koopatroopa Senior commenter

Inverness is a city.
    Dolphin spotting?

mathsmutt likes this.
  7. catmother

catmother Star commenter

Go for a drive north over the bridge. Strathpeffer and Cromarty are well worth a visit and so is Dornoch. After that ,it depends how far up you want to drive. South is of course,Loch Ness and castle Urquart. East of Inverness is Fort George and Nairn.If you drove on the coast as far Lossiemouth,there are some lovely little villages.

mathsmutt likes this.
  8. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

Whisky?

mathsmutt likes this.
  9. coffeekid

coffeekid Star commenter

Have a look and see what's on at Eden Court Theatre.

mathsmutt likes this.
  10. bonxie

bonxie Lead commenter

If you've got primary aged children, Landmark is worth a visit: https://www.landmarkpark.co.uk
    Dolphins watching near the bridge: https://www.moraydolphins.co.uk/inverness.html
    Scottish Dolphin Centre between Inverness and Aberdeen: https://dolphincentre.whales.org
    Strathspey steam railway goes through some nice scenery: https://www.strathspeyrailway.co.uk
    Osprey watching at Loch Garten Osprey Centre.
    The Rothiemurchus has a variety of outdoor activities for adults and children. We've done clay pigeon shooting, fly fishing, trout fishing (good for younger children as they fish in a well-stocked pond), segway riding and archery. Various other activities are available: https://rothiemurchus.net/outdoor-activities-at-aviemore
    Inverness swimming pool has flumes, a wave machine and a climbing wall.
    If you're willing to do a bit of driving, it's possible to do a day trip to Orkney to see the fantastic archaeology.

mathsmutt likes this.
  11. coffeekid

coffeekid Star commenter

Take a drive or bus ride to Nairn. It's a seaside town and it's lovely. Culloden is also nearby if you fancy a visit.

mathsmutt likes this.
  12. smurphy6

smurphy6 Lead commenter

Go up to Cromarty (Black Isle) and watch the wild dolphins catch fish. They come really close to the shore and it is amazing. We stayed for a couple of hours and took a packed lunch.

mathsmutt likes this.
  13. Durness24

Durness24 New commenter

If you have a car and plenty of free time, then go to Durness 100 miles north west of Inverness via Lairg. It's much overlooked even though it is the gateway to Cape Wrath, the North West corner of the UK. There is a stunning beach as well as the famous Smoo Cave as well as a memorial to John Lennon who came here as a young boy on holidays.

mathsmutt and Mrsmumbles like this.
  14. susanrk

susanrk Occasional commenter

Some great ideas. Thank you so much. Coincidentally the tv programme last night with Christopher Timothy, classic car etc came from that area. It was stunningly beautiful.

mathsmutt likes this.
  15. lrw22

lrw22 Senior commenter

I went years ago. Culloden was really interesting especially if you're into history.

mathsmutt likes this.
  16. smurphy6

smurphy6 Lead commenter

Apologies, in my post yesterday (post 12 on this thread) I said watch the wild dolphins at Cromarty when I actually meant Chanory Point on the Black Isle. The good thing is that Chanory Point is closer to Inverness than Cromarty. It really is a wonderful experience.

mathsmutt likes this.
  17. Mrsmumbles

Mrsmumbles Star commenter

Sandwood Bay! Beautiful little place...God’s back garden, I always thought...

mathsmutt likes this.
  18. coffeekid

coffeekid Star commenter

I love Cromarty in the Black Isle. It's such a gorgeous place. My father in law lived there for years (before he moved somewhere even more out of the way and remote) His ex-wife, who I get on well with, still lives there and runs the post office.

mathsmutt likes this.
  19. Durness24

Durness24 New commenter

Shhh! Don't tell 'em Pike!! - Sandwood Bay is so good especially when you turn around the hill and see the dunes beneath you. It should really be kept a secret to those in the know!

Mrsmumbles and mathsmutt like this.
  20. catmother

catmother Star commenter

It's so lovely.

mathsmutt and coffeekid like this.