1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Introductory undergraduate topics to teach sixth form

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by bobdrivesahgv, Mar 24, 2016.

1. bobdrivesahgv

bobdrivesahgv New commenter

If you had the time - a spare hour, a "session 6", etc - and a motivated bunch of volunteers aiming to go on to do maths degrees, which introductory topics might you teach for a bit of a delve into what they can expect to see?

I'm thinking first courses in linear algebra and complex variables, but am keen to hear others' opinions.

2. PaulDG

PaulDG Occasional commenter

How confident are you that they're going to get 600UMS in both Maths& FM A level? And a level 2 in STEP 2 or 3?

If you're not confident of those, there's more to do before jumping the gun to undergraduate work, isn't there?

bobdrivesahgv likes this.
  3. adamcreen

adamcreen Occasional commenter

My Year 8 Masterclass on Group Theory (4 hours covering transformations of the unit square, permutation groups, modulo arithmetic, classifying groups of order n, and subgroups) would be ideal for this. I really benefited from doing Group Theory in my A Level (1986-88) before Uni as it meant I had concrete examples of what rapidly became theoretical and inaccessible otherwise.

bobdrivesahgv likes this.
  4. bobdrivesahgv

bobdrivesahgv New commenter

Thanks. :)
    Group theory is a lovely example.
    That's a great idea, which hadn't immediately come to my mind.

5. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

Little extensions on what they are doing can be good. E.g. what convergence really means or proof of the countability of rationals and uncountability of real numbers. Groups sound interesting if you have the time.

6. Owen134866

Owen134866 New commenter

I would make use of the mentoring materials provided each month by the UKMT - they have similar stuff available for younger pupils as well. I think this kind of general problem solving would be a better way to stretch their thinking skills, rather than just teaching more 'knowledge', if you get my meaning! :)

https://www.ukmt.org.uk/mentoring/

bombaysapphire likes this.