1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Introduction and Question about Edexcel GCSE English exam

Discussion in 'Private tutors' started by harley_freemantle, Mar 16, 2019.

1. Hi

I am going to be tutoring a family friend for his GCSE English exam. I am not going to be paid, and I am not a tutor. However, I am very good at English. I previously worked as a journalist and I am now a corporate lawyer. And when I sat my Scottish Standard Grades in 2006 I got a 1 in English (the highest grade, at that time) and later when I sat my Scottish Highers I got an A in English (also the highest grade, at that time). So I am hoping that I will be able to help this young man improve his English skills even though I am not a tutor.

His school follows the Edexcel curriculum and he will be sitting the Edexcel GCSE English paper. My mum is a classroom assistant at an AQA school and, before I knew which curriculum he was following, my mum sent me lots of useful AQA materials that set out the format of that exam. I would really appreciate being pointed towards any Edexcel materials which may assist me, and him, to understand exactly what he'll be asked to do, question-by-question, paper-by-paper on the Edexcel exam.

Thanks for all of your help!

2. louisee9

louisee9 New commenter

The Edexcel website is the best place to start. They have the full specifications, exemplar and past papers as well as student answers with notes showing you exactly what they are looking for on the Language papers. I have also produced some resources such as revision Powerpoints, additional practice papers and model answers which may be helpful.

3. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

Sorry to be negative, but I think you are taking on a mammoth task if you are going to be able to understand exactly what the examiners are looking for. It took me a long time to be confident of this in Maths, which I think is probably easier to understand than English. You can certainly help him with his English skills, but you are unlikely to be able to do what an experienced English teacher could. But then, the parents are getting you for nothing.

By all means visit the Edexcel website and download material. It will help.

langteacher likes this.