1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Introduction and Conclusions

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Carolyne740, Feb 28, 2012.

1. Carolyne740

Carolyne740 New commenter

bumpity bump
    can anyone help?

2. jwraft

jwraft New commenter

Practise! Do they know what an introduction is? It's different for different text types but generally the same idea - give the reader a taste of the text to get them to carry on reading. If you look at my resources there are some non-fiction text type posters and there are some ideas for introductions and conclusions in there.

I told my year 6s a few weeks ago that in terms of structuring work it has to be introduction, main text, conclusion - tell them what you're going to tell them, tell them, remind them what you've told them about. Since then I've plugged it with every text type and they are becoming MUCH more consistent and the mid and higher children are including them in independent writing tasks.

I did spend a full week teaching it, giving the children opportunities to write them for different text types. It has paid off! Let me know if I can go into anything any further!

3. Carolyne740

Carolyne740 New commenter

Thanks for the post.
    Have been teaching the say what you're going to say; say it; then tell them what you have said.
    Will go and have a look at your resources - am looking at all the different genres as part of our booster work so will make sure we pull in the intro and conclusions.
    Thanks again