1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Introducing yourself to a class for an observed lesson as part of an interview

Discussion in 'Primary' started by MiniMoo6, Apr 12, 2018.

1. MiniMoo6

MiniMoo6 New commenter

Hi!!

I have had 2 teaching job interviews so far, and I have a third one on Monday. I am applying for my NQT year.
    At the start of the observation during the interview process, I have introduced myself, and explained what they will be doing with me, and then go straight into the lesson, for example:
    Hello, I'm Miss Moody, and I'm going to be doing a little of Maths with you this morning. A little bit about shapes!
    And then at then end, I thank them for being lovely to teach, wish them luck, and that I hope to see them in the future.

The first interview gave feedback, and said they liked how I introduced myself formally and I was friendly.
    The second interview said I was too formal, and I should have done what everyone else at the interview did, and said something fun about themselves.....(I didn't like how they compared me to everyone else....)...

I was just wondering how you would go about this, and how you introduce yourself to a a class for an interview observation?

2. carriecat10

carriecat10 Established commenter Community helper

I think what you did sounds absolutely fine to me. If they are going to appoint someone based on this ... well, how petty!

BTW, if your username is your real name, please ask to change it so your posts can remain anonymous. The easiest way to do this is to email help@tes.co.uk and request to change it.

freckle06, phlogiston and AliceMoody like this.
  3. sparkleghirl

sparkleghirl Star commenter

Personally I'd go with the former approach. At some point in the lesson there might indeed be an opportunity for fun/funny, but scrpting it at the start would feel too forced and unnatural for me.

It's all in the eye of the observer though, and sadly the job is as much about entertainment these days as it is about good quaility teaching.

Not much help, sorry, Go with your heart, with what feels right to you. Good luck.

Lara mfl 05, Landofla and sabrinakat like this.
  4. MiniMoo6

MiniMoo6 New commenter

Thank you. I mean a joke I sometimes make is "dont worry, Im not really moody", but I don't feel it is appropriate when I dont know the children or staff.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  5. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

Your approach sounds best. An interview is a formal thing, and you are expecting to be taken seriously be all you meet.
    Maybe you say "we're going to do shapes and my favourite shape is..."

Lara mfl 05 and AliceMoody like this.
  6. sparkleghirl

sparkleghirl Star commenter

Exactly and in a way that's what's wrong with these interview lessons. They way I am with a class the first time I meet them is nothing like the way I am when I know them and they know me. But I'm not good at faking it, it has to come naturally.

ViolaClef and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  7. MiniMoo6

MiniMoo6 New commenter

I agree. I cant fake things, as it looks like I have no idea what I am doing.
    I will stick to the approach i have been doing then.
    Thank you

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  8. MiniMoo6

MiniMoo6 New commenter

Thank you.
    I mean the lesson at my next interview is literacy, and I am using one of my favourite childrens books :D

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  9. drvs

drvs Star commenter

Tossy school. Bullet dodged!

10. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

I agree stick with the approach you prefer. the way the second school reacted says more about them than you and probably wouldn't have been a good fit therefore.

That's the problem, every school is so different and expectations so individual.
    Best of luck with the next one.

MiniMoo6 likes this.
  11. sunshineneeded

sunshineneeded Star commenter

I think your preferred approach sounds fine, stick with it. Good luck with the next interview.

MiniMoo6 likes this.
  12. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

If your preferred approach is more formal and school's approach is more fun, then you'd not have fitted in there anyway.
    Best off not getting the post.

I would bother telling them your favourite shape or any such nonsense unless it directly leads in to the lesson.

Lara mfl 05 and MiniMoo6 like this.
  13. hammie

hammie Lead commenter

write your name up, get on with it!
    As you talk, they will work out all they need to know about you. Children don't want friends as teachers, they want teachers who demonstrate a sense of humour in appropriate ways. They also want someone who quickly learns a name or two and clamps down quickly, fairly and firmly on the class twit.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  14. ViolaClef

ViolaClef Lead commenter

@MiniMoo6 Be yourself. Sometimes you can go to one interview and the feedback that you get is you needed to be x, y and z, so you go to the next interview and try to be x, y and z and they will tell you that you need to be more a, b, c. You can never be sure what combination of factors are most important to them, but it is important that you find somewhere where you will fit in, feel comfortable and be happy. Good luck!

hammie and Lara mfl 05 like this.