1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Introducing yourself to a class at the beginning of an observed interview lesson

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by Cheerie, Feb 14, 2012.

1. I know this question is probably going to sound daft but...
    I have an interview for a teaching position coming up soon and for the observed lessons will teaching the entire length of the period. Coming from the Scottish system where we don't have observed lessons as part of the interview process, I am wondering how to introduce myself to the classes I will be teaching - is there a "right" way? The period length is fairly short and I'm not sure I can give the time to an activity I would normally do when meeting new classes at the start of a new academic session and cover the work they've asked of me in the period but I'd like to do more than just give my name. Would anyone have any pointers please?

Cheerie

2. I always greet students with Hello I'm Ms Brainy and I am your Psychology Teacher today. I then carry on introducing in the lessons in the same way I would if I were working at the school/college all the time. At the end, I thank the students for their attention, praise them for what they've learned, tell them I hope to see them again very soon but if not good luck with the rest of their course!

I always get a positive response from them with this approach

3. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

I'd say this was a splendid way to proceed.

4. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Hear, hear!
    That's what you'd do if you were on supply - not go into anything else, as that would distract them, divert their attention to you, and you want it firmly on their learning.
    Best wishes
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Seminars. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    I shall be doing the Win That Teaching Job seminar on Saturday February 25th, and also the Moving into Headship or SLT seminar on Saturday 17th March.
    www.tesweekendworkshop87.eventbrite.comwww.tesweekendworkshop90.eventbrite.com

5. Thank you very much for the compliments, Middlemarch and Theo! [​IMG]
    By the way, a quick way of remembering names is to give the students sticky labels to wear (if the previous candidate has already done this for me, so much the better) or look at the names written on the desk if the previous teacher has already used a seating plan (again, so much the better)! Better still, if it's a small group I'm dealing with, I just ask them and briefly get to know them while helping them during learning activities if there's time (e.g. if teaching a whole lesson).
    Hope this helps and good luck!

6. By the way, Theo and Middlemarch are right! An interview lesson is not the time to be fiddling around with icebreaker activities! The best way to get to know them beyond saying hi, is as I said to focus on developing as a good a rapport as you can immediately. As we all know, learning and using a student's name is the most powerful way of doing this!

7. littlemissraw

littlemissraw Occasional commenter

Stickers are brilliant! I use them at every interview. I even buy the round ones (like dentist use to give) and print picture or 'slogan' around the edge such as 'Design Wizard' (or whatever is related to the task). I just leave enough space for them to write their names in the middle and they always love them. x

8. Thank you all so much for the valuable advice. I'm all set with my lessons but was just having a wobble about this small part! Fingers crossed it's the only part of the day I'll have to worry about! [​IMG]

Thank you again,
    Cheerie