1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Introducing solids

Discussion in 'Parenting' started by saripop, Feb 17, 2011.

1. There have probably been a million threads on this, but I was just wondering at what age people have introduced LO's to solids and which foods they tried first? My baby girl is coming up to 4 months and is fascinated by food so I'm just wondering whether to strat trying her on solids. The main thing that's stopping me from doing it is that I would love to go down the baby-led weaning route and she's not ready for that yet as she can't sit and grab reliably. Also I worry about allergies etc plus she has been exclusively bf'ed (no formula at all) up to now and wonder whether I could keep it up to 6 months and whether that would benefit her in some way more than introducing solids.
    So, what age did you introduce solids and what foods do they like?

2. There have probably been a million threads on this, but I was just wondering at what age people have introduced LO's to solids and which foods they tried first? My baby girl is coming up to 4 months and is fascinated by food so I'm just wondering whether to strat trying her on solids. The main thing that's stopping me from doing it is that I would love to go down the baby-led weaning route and she's not ready for that yet as she can't sit and grab reliably. Also I worry about allergies etc plus she has been exclusively bf'ed (no formula at all) up to now and wonder whether I could keep it up to 6 months and whether that would benefit her in some way more than introducing solids.
    So, what age did you introduce solids and what foods do they like?

3. Hi Saripop
    I think our LO's are of similar age. Mollie is 3.5months. For about a month she has shoved her fingers/fist into her mouth (although I know this can be just her exploring her hands), she has watched us eat and will grab my finger and guide it into her mouth! At the weekend I gave her some mashed up banana (just two tips of spoonfuls)and she swallowed it so she has that reflex at least. Each day I have given her a little bit more either after the 2pm or the 6pm feed. She actually wailed for more yesterday so i gave her more!
    I'm not starting full weaning at all at the moment but just felt that she was ready for a few bits here and there. Have only tried bananas so far to check no reaction. Not sure what to try next; any suggestions?
    Good Luck x

4. Hey there, I started at 4 months with baby porridge, pear puree and carrot puree. I then got the annabel karmel book for a few interesting recipes and since he was about 6 months I;ve been giving finger foods such as toast and steamed broccoli trees, carrot batons and green beans from my dinner. He really chomps down on stuff and always looks like I;m trying to poison him with the first spoonful but then goes nuts for anything.

5. goonergirl2009

goonergirl2009 New commenter

Charlotte (who is four and a half months old) has started trying to take food from our plates so weaning time may be near for us too!
    x

6. We started when LO was 20 weeks. Just baby porridge to start, then banana, pear, sweet potato, carrot. Make sure it's really runny at first. I found I got a bit anxious about it all for some reason but once you get past the trying different flavours stage it's much easier and more fun. One thing I would be wary of is potato, my LO gets very constipated if I give it him!

7. handrail

handrail New commenter

LO is 5 months tomorrow and although he isn't finishing all his bottles we think he's ready by the interest he shows in our food - thinking of trying him on some carrot this weekend. What is the best type of baby porridge to use - I assume normal adult porridge isn't milled enough and has added salt?

8. LO is 5 months and weve been weaning for 3 weeks. Organix banana porridge - basically flavoured baby rice - went down very well, I'd really recommend it as it is much nicer than plain baby rice. We started on pears, sweet potato, apple, banana and all kinds of root veg, by themselves first then in various combinations. I'd also really recommend Anabel Karmels Baby and Toddler Meal planner for anyone who is nervous, it's v clear.
    As to the pros and cons, all I can do is speak from experience and say that our non sleeping baby has slept an average of 11 hours at night for the last 5 days! I'm convinced its to do with the food. It's great fun so enjoy!

9. Please can I ask a really stupid question?! If going down the BLW and giving more finger foods than purees how does baby 'chew' them without any teeth?? I know that this sounds ridiculous but how would they eat a carrot baton or a green bean?? Do they just sort of suck on it or do you give him really small pieces? Sorry if I sound stupid but just can't figure it out and don't want him to choke!! My LO is 20 weeks and I think is very nearly ready for weaning- he's having six 5/6oz bottles a day and is VERY interested in our food!!

10. Babies can chew fine without teeth, with vegetables just make sure you cook it so that is soft enough that you can squash it with your tongue on the roof of your mouth. When they are first starting they probably haven't developed a pincer grip so wouldn't be able to pick up small pieces.

The Baby Led Weaning book by Gill Rapley is very good and has lots of information about signs of readiness, risk of choking, how to offer food etc.

We started just before 6 months on BLW, never bothered with any purees, she just eats what we do, and has been one of the best decisions we made.

11. DilysPrice

DilysPrice New commenter

We've just started on baby rice and in a week will try some root veggies probably. Annabel Karmel's book was great with my first.