1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Introducing place value to Y1?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by chocciemad, Jan 16, 2011.

1. Hi there. My objective for next week is 'Read and write numerals from 0 to 20, then beyond; use knowledge of place value to position these numbers on a number track and number line'.
    Does anyone know of any fun ways I can introduce this to my Y1 class?
    Many Thanks

2. I'm not sure how "fun or exciting" this is, but I mainly use money to introduce place value. With 10ps and 1ps, the children can clearly see what each digit stands for, and if they can't, then they can count.

3. Ticker counters (used for surveys and roadside counting) clearly show that you start with the right hand digit and my year 1's love them. They are about £5-6 from Staples (cheaper then from Espo)

I also have some bright plastic H,T,U flip boards and a couple are always out on my numeracy table. If the children start flipping over the left hand (ie, 100) numbers they come to me confused as to why they can't make 10 and I show them we build numbers from the units/right. It's a good way to catch who doesn't understand what we have talked about in our carpet sessions when they are exploring.

4. Thanks guys, these aare really lovely ideas. The kids will love them!