1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Introducing P3 to money

Discussion in 'Primary' started by inq, Jan 18, 2011.

1. inq

inq

I've got Y1, so I guess about the same as yours(5-6 years old).
    Most of mine recognised all of the coins but quite a few had no idea of relative worth so we looked at the numbers on the back of 1p, 2p, 5p, 10p, 20p, 50p and ordered these numbers. Quite a few had an idea that £1 and £2 were worth more, we didn't look at notes at all.

We reinforced paying for things with money by singing 5 currant buns in the baker's shop and coming and paying for a currant bun (child!) and taking them away.
    We then tried to exchange 1p's for other coins to give an idea of value as some of mine still tend to think that 3 2p's is more than 2 5p's as they are bigger.
    We did lots of playing shops and trying to pay with the correct money - we had lots of classroom items labelled with prices all less than 10/20p (depending on group), initially these things were priced at 1p, 2p, 5p, 10p just to get them used to using the correct coins.
    It is taking a while to get the concept into their heads so it needs to be a little and often thing - if we are doing a few days on addition then we normally do the last one on adding money. We try and make this all as practical as possible and get them filling up purses (or purses drawn on whiteboards) with different amounts, playing at buying things. For my very bottom group they did some activities on sorting a large pot of money into the different coins.
    We have a programme called 'Teaching Money' that has lots of good games for recognising coins, making amounts and giving change.

2. Thanks a lot for taking the time to give me a detailed answer. Some great ideas to get things going there!!

Kris.