1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Introducing new topic - Growing. Any ideas? :)

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by Jennie1990, Apr 21, 2012.

1. I'm introducing this topic on Monday in reception. We will have read Jack and the beanstalk but that is very literacy based and I want this intro to lead onto a discussion about what the children know and would like to find out about growing. It is just such a big topic that I am stumped about how best to introduce it and could really really do with some ideas - I'd really appreciate anything at all!
    Thanks! xx
    (Oh I am not a teacher yet..student in final year!)

2. I'm introducing this topic on Monday in reception. We will have read Jack and the beanstalk but that is very literacy based and I want this intro to lead onto a discussion about what the children know and would like to find out about growing. It is just such a big topic that I am stumped about how best to introduce it and could really really do with some ideas - I'd really appreciate anything at all!
    Thanks! xx
    (Oh I am not a teacher yet..student in final year!)

3. Hello!
    This is our current topic and we also begun reading jack and the bean stalk, I then brain stormed on the IWB all the children's ideas so I knew what knowledge they already had. We then planted a bean and are now watching it grow. We are providing lots of child led activities around the classroom such as magnifying glasses and seeds, garden centre role play, pots with holes in in the water and shovels etc in the sand. Hope this helps x

4. Hi jennie, Sort of similar to amber I started by planting some grass, cress and mung bean seeds in a builders tray during the holiday so when we came back there was a veritable forest for little dinosaurs. How did this happen? we also looked at changes outside ie the tulips had grown what does that mean then asking what they knew about growing what does it mean. I read Titch,We looked at different seeds passing them round at circle time getting progressively bigger to an avocado and a coconut so children realised that seeds are different sizes. Weve planted beans inside and outside, cress and carrot tops. Flora's Flowers is a great book where she plants a brick and says she's growing a house ... and she does. We've planted a brick too. Theres a story Beans on toast which tells the baked beans storyin simple terms. We made beans on toast, looked at lots of different beans including coffee and cocoa which children ground up. If you need any more stuff let me know and I'll forward my plans. evebatten@aol.com