1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Introducing KS4 D&T

Discussion in 'Design and technology' started by soph1980, Dec 9, 2011.

1. soph1980

soph1980 New commenter

I'd love it if you could give me some suggestions and advice...
    We are hoping to introduce a design course at KS4 in Sept 2012. This year Resistant Materials has been brought back at KS3, after a 2 year collapse. As HOD, (teacher of Art & Design) I'm really happy with what is happening within D&T, systems and control within textiles, woodwork, food tech, digital media. Our new D&T teacher has a product design background so have fantastic ICT skills.
    My question is what course should we provide? We are a single sex school about to go co-ed. The students we have in Year 9 are experiencing RM for the 1st time at the school so have limited skills and subject knowledge, another challenge is that the subject is taught as a 12 week carousel with Textiles and Food at KS3, again limiting subject knowledge, skills and techniques.
    Your views and guidance would be appreciated!

2. soph1980

soph1980 New commenter

I'd love it if you could give me some suggestions and advice...
    We are hoping to introduce a design course at KS4 in Sept 2012. This year Resistant Materials has been brought back at KS3, after a 2 year collapse. As HOD, (teacher of Art & Design) I'm really happy with what is happening within D&T, systems and control within textiles, woodwork, food tech, digital media. Our new D&T teacher has a product design background so have fantastic ICT skills.
    My question is what course should we provide? We are a single sex school about to go co-ed. The students we have in Year 9 are experiencing RM for the 1st time at the school so have limited skills and subject knowledge, another challenge is that the subject is taught as a 12 week carousel with Textiles and Food at KS3, again limiting subject knowledge, skills and techniques.
    Your views and guidance would be appreciated!

3. Firstly stop calling resistant materials, woodwork[​IMG]

First thing I would do is register with DATA (the Design and Technology Association). They provide lots of training for new HOD etc and can point you in the right direction.
    Are you an LEA school? The County inspector should be able to point you in the right direction of a school of good practise that can advise you about schemes etc.

4. soph1980

soph1980 New commenter

Touchy! RM from now on.

Thanks for your advice

5. re

re New commenter

Touchy - and rightly so. We have been fighting the woodwork/rm battle for a quater of a century and still have not won.
    But back to your question. Take a look at Product Design from AQA. Exam can be taught through any material area and require less technical knowledge thanRM?Systems/electronics/Food/Textiles.
    Get some do-able projects - I am using the stereo amplifier from Kitronics to be the basis of an MP3 docking station - very popular and quite simple. Invest in some modern machinery eg laser cutter that will allow your students to investigate and be creative hilst producing high quality outcomes.

Go and look at other schools. Get names from advisors of top schools for DT in the area. I could go on, but never call it woodwork.

6. If you eventually choose AQA's Product Design and would like some support contact me a brian@dixonsca.com I can provide you with a mass of teaching resources. Also contact the D&T office at AQA Manchester and request the CD which was assembled for the recent teacher standardisation meetings. Also check out their websites for details of courses in the New Year.

7. I would agree with dixons on this point, as you may well get more hepl from them than either a DT advisor if you still have one or spending money joining DATA, spend the money on reources as there are loads of websites with good ideas out there for free.

8. soph1980

soph1980 New commenter

Thank you for the tips. Yes we have a laser cutter and I've also used kitronics for a textile project. We use aaa for our other subjects so I will speak with them too.

Thanks for your advice

9. MArty's comment made me smile. I was at a party last night and was introduced by a middle aged lady to her partner as "my old woodwork teacher". It was the "old" I objected to not the "woodwork" reference. She went to great lengths to explain that the bedside cabinet she made in my class some 32 years ago had only recently been thrown away, not because it was faulty but because it was dated. We were both very proud of that achievement from a 13 year old girl "back in the day". She wandered off to re-live memories with my wife and left me to explain to her partner that I wasn't actually a "chippy" anymore but worked mainly with CAD and CAM and a vast range of materials, including textiles. I didn't even begin to try to explain what d&t actually means and that is probably our biggest problem, it makes little sense to anyone outside of education (and of course many within!). If I had called myself a "resistant materials technologist" the conversation would have been even more difficult. What the powers that be call us next is almost irrelevant it is only whether what we do is relevant to the kids that really matters. I often wonder whether being a woodwork teacher would actually make more sense. I still see masses of woodwork being taught in schools around the country just as I see lots of cooking and sewing.